UNICEF Voices of Youth & The Guardian Advertisement Contest

Publicado 3 de febrero de 2014 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY Ver Perfil

Vine and Instagram videos may be short but they can send a powerful message. Get creative.

Marketing & advertising to children (and youth) is a growing business in many parts of the world attracting increasing attention from parents, regulators, business and civil society.

Children often have unsupervised access to numerous forms of media: we see advertisements all the time through the T.V., radio, the internet, and even our social media networks. And there are growing concerns about the effects of marketing on children’s physical and mental health. Inappropriate advertising can also have negative influences on children’s behaviour and self-esteem.

Marketing & Advertising to Children often gets a bad reputation. But, does it have to?

We had teamed up with the Guardian on the previous theme: Giving Children a Voice in Business http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/children-youth-voice-business,

Now we are collaborating once again with The Guardian to bring you another contest - we want you to show us how the marketing & advertising world could be transformed.

What do we mean by that?

Well we want you to tell us what you think advertising that is socially-aware or socially-conscious should look like? It should be based on the idea that market offerings must not be only profit-driven, but they must also reinforce social and ethical values for the benefit of citizens. So how could advertising and marketing be focused not only on selling a product or service, but be respectful of your rights as children?

What’s the contest about?

UNICEF and The Guardian newspaper regularly produce special features about the role that business can or should play in realising the rights of children: http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/child-rights-business. These features look at issues such as corporate social responsibility programmes and they showcase good examples from around the world. For the next feature – which will be published on The Guardian online at the end of February– UNICEF and The Guardian want to hear your views on marketing & advertising to children.

How?

Choose a product – it could be a food item, a clothing item, or anything else you use in your daily life. We kindly ask that you do not use or show any brand names in the advertisement. Next, we want you to make a Vine or Instagram video which shows what a socially-conscious advertisement for this product would be.

We won't discriminate against Vine or Instagram- whichever you prefer is up to you! Jump, skip, #loop, sing your advertisement...it's your creation!

We’re not going to tell you more than that - we want you to interpret the idea for yourself.

By sharing your creative thinking on UNICEF’s global youth community – Voices of Youth – the best entry will be published on-line.

So you stand the chance to be published in this next special feature!

Do you have any tips for me?

We are looking for your personal views and opinions on this issue Think of advertisements you have seen in the past and how you would change it to make it your own. Get creative – act out a scenario with your friends (get their permission) or make an animation. Remember Vine and Instagram videos are very short. Try to plan your video by coming up with a plan of what you’ll shoot and in what order.

What do I need to know to participate?

A smartphone/A phone with a video camera Either a Vine or Instragram account One product, no brand names please! Your video needs to be in English, IF you are talking. Subtitles are welcome! You must be 24 years old or younger. Your name, age, and location will be published in The Guardian All entries must be original ideas.

#Winner

The winner's production will be prominently published in The Guardian & UNICEF Sustainable Business Supplement. http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/child-rights-business

How do I submit my entry?

Make your video and upload it to your Vine or Instagram account – tell your friends what you’re doing to spread the word. To submit your entry, go to www.voicesofyouth.org. Click on “sign up.” Follow the instructions to create an account. Once you have created an account, click on the blue icon “Create a Post.” Choose your type of post as a “Video” because you will be embedding your Vine and Instagram video Once you have uploaded your Vine or Instagram to your Social Media account, be sure to copy and paste the url into “Media URL” to embed your socially aware advertisement into your post. For more detailed instruction, you can always refer back to this page: http://bit.ly/1d3oUn1 Please tag your article: Guardian Entry If you want to include an explanation about your video you can write it below your video.

At the end of your post please write your name, your age, and where you are from. Also include your email address – we will NOT publish it but we need to have it in case we need to contact you.

The deadline is 16 February 2014.

UNICEF video media social media The Guardian Advertising