Unlocking the "key" to education
- 1 Artículo
People say education is key, but what is this key for? This key unlocks a future for us, it enables us to decide what we want in our lives. But what happens if you don’t have this key?
In Zambia there are over 13 million people. Only 72 percent know how to read and write. The number of children going to primary school is very high. Even so, the number of children who finish school is very low. A statistical view shows that only 21 percent of children finish their education. But what happens to the other 79 percent? It has been estimated that about 60 percent of pupils in Zambia pass their primary school education and, that only 5 percent of pupils in junior secondary pass to senior secondary. At the end of it all, only 30 percent of pupils finish their education.
But what happens to those who dropped out of school or decided to stop at an early level? Well some do end up taking up good careers. Some of them end taking up very successful businesses, while others end up playing sports and others find successful careers. But not all of them are lucky. Some boys end up selling drugs, smuggling illegal materials and stealing. Some girls end up working as prostitutes and illegal street vendors.
Now that we have seen what the lack of education can cause, what can we do about it? Let’s make sure that we help others understand what education can do for us because if we do we can help others understand the true meaning of education cause if we say education is key, we should let that key be used to its greatest point, not just hiding it in the face of others but also showing it to others who need it...
School attendance has increased substantially since Zambia’s independence in 1964. in 2000 some 1.6 million pupils were enrolled in primary schools, representing 82 percent of school-aged children. Only 28 percent of secondary school-aged children were enrolled. the university of Zambia (founded in 1965), at Lusaka, had about 10,500 students in the mid-1990s. source: (http://overhistory.blogspot.com/2014/01/zambia.html)