Voices Of Youth Inspire: "Young people need to know that whatever they choose is the right choice "

Publicado 23 de abril de 2013 Avatar Etienne

Avatar Etienne Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 2 de marzo de 2011

Please tell us your name:

Francisco Iturralde.

And your age:

20 years old.

Where are you originally from and where do you currently live?:

I was born and raised in Guayaquil, Ecuador and I am currently living in NYC.

According to your business card – what’s your job title?

I’m a full time athlete and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor.

And how does that compare with what you wanted to do when you were 10 years old?

I’m pretty sure I wanted to be a superhero, so fighting for living is close enough, the most important is that I really enjoy what I do. Every day I wake up and go to work I’m thankful to God for what I have.

Give us 10 words that describe your typical work day?

It is hard to list words but one word that is worth a thousand is HAPPINESS.

In a nutshell, how did you get to where you are right now? Name some of the most important milestones.

Winning 3 times the world championship and the Abu Dhabi World Pro were maybe the most important titles that I conquered, but when I was 15 I went to Brazil and won the Brazilian national championship, ever since I decided what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome to get to your current position and how did it help you to grow as a person?

You have to realize that there is nothing impossible, if you have faith and you believe you can achieve anything that you want. Your biggest obstacle will always be your own head.

How important was your choice of degree/field of study at university for what you’re doing now?

I am looking forward to start school soon and become a cook.

What are the top three things someone needs to excel in your field?

Discipline, love for what you do and faith.

What do you think is the MOST important thing governments and/or companies can do to help young people get started in their careers?

Young people need to know that whatever they choose is the right choice and not to be questioned or pushed to do something else.

On a lighter note, tell us about the strangest day you’ve ever had at work or the strangest thing you had to do?

Sometimes you feel sore and tired before training and is so easy to just say I will not do it, I’m going to rest today, but that’s when your will and your heart have to overcome what your body feels and just do what you need to do to become what you want to be.

Some words to youth out there: What advice can you give them when chasing their dream position?

Never give up, sometimes in spite of doing what you love, you will always face situations that will put to test your mind and how committed you are so even if the path is long and hard keep going till you chase your goals.

Find out more about Francisco Iturralde on his Facebook page