What is Rio+20? Why should I care?

Publicado 18 de mayo de 2012 Avatar Etienne

Avatar Etienne Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 2 de marzo de 2011

This year is the 20th anniversary of the first Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. From 20-22 June, decision-makers will again meet in Brazil to see what has been done, and what has not in the last twenty years. We hope to take you there, at least virtually, and make sure the work YOU are doing as a volunteer is made known to them.

Twenty years ago, the UN Earth Summit brought together 172 governments and thousands of representatives from the NGO community to put a stop to what was regarded as a cycle of decline in development. It was recognized that nothing short of a transformation of our attitude and behaviour would bring about the changes that were urgently needed in order to protect the planet from the effects of both poverty and over-consumption.

Now, in June 2012, we return to Rio with new hope of real political commitment for a new way of thinking about our future and the planet. The expressed aim of the conference is to identify the main gaps in the implementation of the outcomes of the previous major summits on sustainable development, and to address the new and emerging challenges we face now.

It is with this last point - the addressing of the new and emerging challenges - that we need your help by not only tweeting but adding your issue area under Step 2 of the website! We want to take the issues that you consider important as volunteers and make them heard by those formulating agreements in Rio. It is our hope that the voice of the volunteer can impact the decisions of those holding the pens in Rio. So speak up, your opinion matters!

Find out more about Volunteer Action Counts! here!