Where can youth get the deserving skills we need?

Publicado 20 de febrero de 2014 no picture Achmad

no picture Achmad Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 9 de octubre de 2013

Youth and Skills

Youth and Skills

We know that globally, the population aged 15 to 24 reached over 1.2 billion in 2010. In addition, irrespective to the developing technologies and communication in the world, in fact, there are still big problems in the realm of economics especially within unemployment. Jobs are not being created fast enough to meet the needs of this large youth population. Job creation is limited and young people who want to look for the appropriate background for work. Skilled youth are and will be so vital. Whereas unskilled youth either add to the increasing number of unemployed or are trapped working for very low pay. However, the restriction of youth skills has obstructed the way due to a limited education.

From the above, we define education that which determines an opportunity for young people in looking for a job. Skills are considered to be one of the major job qualifications. If countries are to grow and prosper in a rapidly changing world, they need to pay even greater attention to a developing, skilled workforce. Thus, my question becomes, "Where can youth easily get the deserving skills they need?" In school, students should be provided with equal opportunities because it is an important first step to ensure young people have the range of skills needed to improve their job prospects. However, the equal opportunities will be not equal and may be imbalanced between countries due to differences in the development across all sectors. This could be proven by some facts such as- the education in Indonesia will be different than in Japan because the infrastructure and quality of education provided by the government are different. The differences of education are not challenging to each country because of these obstacles. Indonesian students are aware to push up their skills through some formal and informal education which is well known for skills to be transferrable.

Transferable skills are most often not from a textbook, but can be acquired through a quality education. Furthermore, skills are more important than the other skills because it prompts young people to think and behave positively. Transferable skills are commonly in the form of some attributes such as creativity, initiative, leadership and the ability to work independently. Skills could be built up through academic and non-academic knowledge, although most schools do not provide set theories and curricula to develop skills. From education, we also can grab IT skills. This skill is in accordance with the development of new technologies. Modern technologies are increasingly important for the employment prospects of young people. For example, in Colombia nearly 70% of students were identified as lacking digital literacy skills, compared with less than 10% in Australia and Japan. Can we imagine our world today without IT, it might be in darkness without it.

I believe staying longer in school will be more effective to enhancing skills. It not only ensures that young people improve their literacy and numeracy skills, but also that they acquire problem-solving skills. So, it can be concluded that education is the door to enhance the skills of youth and helps open the opportunity for vacancy.

youth education skills students Jobs technologies opportunities workforce unemployment