Women of my country

Publicado 4 de junio de 2014 Avatar Ghada

Avatar Ghada Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 4 de junio de 2014

With all of our differences, we, Tunisian women are proud to come from different backgrounds. Yet, share the same dream. The dream of being treated as the tangible power behind this flawlessly built society, not as an object, which is always there to please man’s needs.

Let me start by putting you in the frame. And trust me, I am neither exaggerating, nor generalizing.

In this society, you will find the girl who rebelled against the rules of her conservative family to study theatre and live with the one she loves as soon as she reached her 20 years old.
Yet, she will never be able to sleep until she calls her mother every night and tell her how much she misses her, informing her about the place of their next secret meeting, which cannot last more than 2 hours, before her father comes home.

In this society, you will have the chance to meet the 16 years-old girl who left her widowed mom grieving her loss and take her leave towards the capital. For some couple of dinars a day, she will take a spot on the sidewalk of the “Habib Borguiba Avenue” and start begging people for money, promising that she will mention them in her prayers. Her next destination then, will be heading to her second job in another fancy house in which she will clean, cook and bear the physical abuse of her employer without using “no” as an answer. Then, out of jealousy, as soon as the wife notices that the girl is growing prettier, she will kick her out of the house.

Then comes the veiled girl who challenged the modern mind-set and chose to cover herself because Allah said so. Because, she took advantage of her right to choose who will be able to see the best of her.
Her life will seem as perfect as she always planned to have, until people will start calling her names, asking her about the “tent” she is putting on her head. Mocking her, by wondering how, on earth, does she bear the heat of summer. Even worse, they feel free to ask her about when will she join her sisterhood in Syria.
Hurt enough by all of the comments, she will end up taking her hijab off, light her cigarette and please the society that will also judge her of her irresponsibleness toward religion…

Speaking about myself , I never doubted that women of Tunisia have always been the victims of the mentalities inherited within the generations that still adopt the idea of considering men as the rescuers of this society and why not, the whole world.
Actually, I will not deny that or over-appreciate women. Yet, I believe that no one has the right to be dealt with as sex-machines whose main role is to live for the sake of being a dutiful housewife that can be easily bribed with a golden necklace to tease her nosy neighbours.

However, and with all of these misconceptions about women’s right, we should never use it as an excuse to remain hidden backstage.

It is important for you, you and YOU to know that passion is indeed our secret behind the success of being the exhausted mother, the liable minister, the bold soldier, the restless doctor, the sensitive artist and even the fearless volunteer who is ready to cross seven seas in order to restore faith in humanity.

Finally, I would like to wrap up by quoting: “Since we all came from a woman, got our name from a woman and our game from a woman, I wonder why we take from our women. Why we rape our women? Do we hate our women?
I think it's time to kill for our women, time to heal our women, be real to our women. And if we don't we'll have a race of babies that will hate the ladies that make the babies. And since a man can't make one, he has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one.
So will the real men get up?
I know you're fed up ladies, but keep your head up.”

From Tunisia, with Love.