World Water Day 2013!!!

Publicado 15 de marzo de 2013 no picture Saket Mani

no picture Saket Mani Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 29 de abril de 2011

Water scarcity, sanitation, Millennium Goals, climate change and a growing world population… What are the most pressing water issues the world faces today and why are they important to all of us? Why did the United Nations decided to declare 2013 as the International Year of Water Cooperation (Resolution A/RES/65/154) and what does this mean on both a local and national level and on an international level?

You can make a big difference without going to big conferences. Start at grass root level i.e You. The even enlists 50+ ideas on how to minimize the wastage of water. The event is not only for World Water Day but also whenever, wherever applicable. Please share this EVENT as much as possible. All the People are invited to this event to take initiative and SAVE every drop of water.

Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/500927789966464/

Do check out http://www.unwater.org

AND MY FAV8- www.watercooperation2013.org

For innovative ideas visit-http://wateruseitwisely.com

What to do:

When washing dishes by hand, don't let the water run while rinsing. Fill one sink with wash water and the other with rinse water.

Some refrigerators, air conditioners and ice-makers are cooled with wasted flows of water. Consider upgrading with air-cooled appliances for significant water savings.

Adjust sprinklers so only your lawn is watered and not the house, sidewalk, or street.

Run your clothes washer and dishwasher only when they are full. You can save up to 1,000 gallons a month.

Choose shrubs and groundcovers instead of turf for hard-to-water areas such as steep slopes and isolated strips.

Install covers on pools and spas and check for leaks around your Use the garbage disposal sparingly. Compost vegetable food waste instead and save gallons every time.

Plant in the fall when conditions are cooler and rainfall is more plentiful.

Monitor your water bill for unusually high use. Your bill and water meter are tools that can help you discover leaks.

Water your lawn and garden in the morning or evening when temperatures are cooler to minimize evaporation.

Wash your fruits and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water from the tap.

Spreading a layer of organic mulch around plants retains moisture and saves water, time and money.

Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your driveway and sidewalk and save water every time.

If your shower fills a one-gallon bucket in less than 20 seconds, replace the showerhead with a water-efficient model.

Collect the water you use for rinsing fruits and vegetables, then reuse it to water houseplants.

If water runs off your lawn easily, split your watering time into shorter periods to allow for better absorption.

We're more likely to notice leaks indoors, but don't forget to check outdoor faucets, sprinklers and hoses for leaks.

If you have an automatic refilling device, check your pool periodically for leaks.

Check the root zone of your lawn or garden for moisture before watering using a spade or trowel. If it's still moist two inches under the soil surface, you still have enough water.

When buying new appliances, consider those that offer cycle and load size adjustments. They're more water and energy efficient.

Shorten your shower by a minute or two and you'll save up to 150 gallons per month.

Upgrade older toilets with water efficient models.

Adjust your lawn mower to a higher setting. A taller lawn shades roots and holds soil moisture better than if it is closely clipped.

When cleaning out fish tanks, give the nutrient-rich water to your plants.

Use sprinklers for large areas of grass. Water small patches by hand to avoid waste.

-Saket UN World Water Day Advocator