Your Business, Their Voice

Publicado 18 de noviembre de 2013 Avatar Najee Chua

Avatar Najee Chua Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 17 de noviembre de 2013

The Philippines is currently under the international microscope.

After the wake of Typhoon Yolanda (international name Haiyan), my country has been on the receiving end of the world’s generosity and kindness. Nations that most Filipinos have never even visited before have given millions of dollars in relief efforts and goods; some countries have even commissioned their best doctors and volunteers to work directly at ground zero.

Let me take this time now to express my gratitude: on behalf of my mourning country, nations of the world, thank you so much. Your compassion is legendary, and I hope people will remember the aftermath of Typhoon Yolanda as one of humanity's kindest moments.

When tragedy strikes, we are all the same: crushed.

People are saying that the Filipino spirit is resilient, waterproof, and indestructible. I believe this, but with reservations. While it’s true that my countrymen are daily surviving the very worst conditions post-Yolanda, it still means so much to acknowledge the suffering. Please don’t paint the Filipino as someone who can still smile in the face of all these monstrosities. When you lose everything, you don’t just bounce back from the loss like it was nothing. When you lose everything, things change. Your perspective changes, your heart changes, your future changes.

So yes, we Filipinos are survivors, but no, we are never the same.

When I think about the ramifications of this typhoon, I cannot help but think about the children. According to some news report, out of the 13 million people affected by Typhoon Yolanda, 4.9 million are children, out of which 1.5 million are below the age of 5. The numbers are staggering, and this is precisely the reason why children need a voice, as they have yet to discover it for themselves.

In the midst of their suffering, your business can be their platform for hope. While they will try their best to find some form of normalcy in lives that have undergone an intense amount of trauma, your business could be the catalyst that makes people aware about their plight and thus mobilize them to help. Your revenue, instead of focusing on expanding profit, could be dedicated to expanding minds and rebuilding the future of these kids. Your investments need not only be in PR or in marketing -- they could be given to children who will one day thank you for empowering them to speak during a time they couldn't.

When businesses focus on the people (in this case, children), they cease being revenue-making entities.

They become platforms.
They become the voice for those who need it.

Written by: Najee, 23, Philippines

Sources:
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/17/21496134-typhoon-haiyan-a-crisis-by-the-numbers#comments

https://twitter.com/OCHAAsiaPac/status/400945570795110400/photo/1

empowerment Philippines Guardian Submission business Typhoon Haiyan Children & Youth