Youths in Post 2015 Development Agenda in Morocco

Publicado 9 de junio de 2014 Avatar Abdul Mufeez Shaheed

Avatar Abdul Mufeez Shaheed Ver Perfil
Se registró el día 9 de junio de 2014

Participants of the Youth Consultation on the Post 2015 Development Agenda, Morocco

Young people should be at the forefront of global change and innovation. Empowered, they can be key agents for development and peace. If, however, they are left on society's margin, all of us will be impoverished. Let us ensure that all young people have every opportunity to participate fully in the lives of their societies.

Kofi Anan, Former UN Secretary-General

In the past decade, the importance of youth participation in decision making has gained the much needed recognition with efforts by governments to engage youths in the national policy formation process. The stereotype youths faced, of lacking expertise or experience and being a problem or risk, has been replaced by being recognised as social actors who have the skills and capacity to bring about change and development.

On the 31st of May and the 1st of June, I had the chance to represent IFMSA-Morocco (International Federation of Medical Students Association-Morocco) for the youth consultation on the Post 2015 Development Agenda by the United Nations Population Fund-Morocco (UNFPA-Maroc) in Hay Nahda, Rabat.

This national consultation aimed to get the voices of young Moroccans heard on a national and international level, create a platform of communication for youths to advocate on issues which will affect them in the Post 2015 Agenda and elaborate the recommendations decided by young Moroccans on issues which affect them in their home country among others.

The weekend saw a gathering of around 40-50 youths who came from various cities, backgrounds and represented many associations and organisations in Morocco. There were those who had finished studying or were pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree, youths from rural areas, migrants, youths who were handicapped and also youths who sat on national committees. Participants were from different associations which advocated for various causes. Every effort was made to ensure Moroccan youth were represented from every community.

In the two days which followed, the participants had the chance to meet with UN officials in Morocco and debate and discuss issues among themselves. They were taken through the concept of the MDGs and information associated with the Post 2015 process.

Three working groups were formed for the 3 chosen themes: Right to Information and Sexual Reproductive Health and Equality, Education and Employment and Governance and Participation.

Each working group was moderated by a youth who was a leader in their own right. UN-Morocco officials were present to provide guidance but at the same time kept the process entirely youth focused. Priorities were identified and recommendations brainstormed. By the end of the second day each working group had come up with at least 6 recommendations along with ways they could be lobbied to be made into actual policies.

The event highlighted the potential of Moroccan youths in the public/political sphere and showed that our youth have a lot to offer to change the society for the better.

The 2 days ended on a high note as a lot of networking was done between associations/ organisations and individuals with promises to keep in touch to further what had been started during the meet.

MDGs innovation UN Morocco Post 2015 Development Agenda global change