"Bullying" among The Junior High and High School Students ; The Report from Jakarta, Indonesia.

Publié 14 novembre 2013 Avatar Aulia Maharani Karli

Avatar Aulia Maharani Karli Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 25 juillet 2013

The picture from https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=9JHeS6plBuqHVM&tbnid=Y3DabmvJWOmLPM:&ved=0CAQQjB0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgenta.petra.ac.id%2Ftag%2Findonesia%2F&ei=ouaEUpqxOcT_rAfxl4A4&bvm=bv.56343320,d.bmk&psig=AFQjCNGQ6wsRh9QXFKgHYBVpOXi6UgmQkA&ust=1384527865230225

"Bullying" is our topic for this week and I'm sure the term "bullying" is sounds normal and common topic. Bullying, according to this website, (http://www.stopbullying.gov/what-is-bullying/definition/) is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Both kids who are bullied and who bully others may have serious, lasting problems.

We all know that everyone has their own perspective about something or some issues, including bullying and that's why, I was trying to get information among school-aged children. In this case, I've distributed 100 questionnaires to Junior High School students (50 questionnaires to the boys and the rest were to girls). I've also distributed 100 questionnaires to the High School students with the same allocation.

Before we go to the result, I wanted you to know that the data is not 100% correct because the result is only based on the answer of 200 respondents (100 for Junior High School students and the rest are for High School students) that I've interviewed in South Jakarta-Indonesia. My conclusion is based on their answers from the questionnaires and my own opinion.

The 1st day of research

On the 1st day, I went to some Junior High Schools in South Jakarta to distribute the questionnaires. Here are some facts that I've got from the 1st day of research;

1. Most of the boys said: the first person in their life who were told them about bullying is their parents. But on the other hand, most of the girls say, the first person in their life who were told them about bullying is their friend. In my opinion, it was happening because most of the boys are likely to act more attractive and happy to be free when girls are likely to act more calmly and stick to the rules. So that, parents tend to worry and care more for their sons than their daughters.

2. Based on the answers in the questionnaires, 16% (or 8 persons out of 50 boys) in Junior High School have experienced bullying and it's more often happening to the boys who have the "feminine" side. The boys who tend to spend their time with girls and less to play or share with the other boys.

3. The good news is, 98% (or 48 persons out of 50 boys) in the Junior High School still believe that bullying can be resolved. Most of them, given the very simple reason is that boys are between 11 to 15 years old. "Everything is possible and you just need to find the good friends".

4. Based on the answers in the questionnaires, 24% (or 12 persons out of 50) girls in Junior High School have experienced bullying. It's more often happening to the girls who have "geeky" side. These are girls who tend to spend their time alone in class or in the library. I have no idea how to make the conclusion of the statement from these girls because personally I think, "geek" is just a term. It's a term that we can only see with our eyes. We absolutely can't read what's on their mind or their heart or why some people decided to be the geeks. Maybe it was natural.

5. I still have good news from the girls in the Junior High School. 94% of them still believe that bullying can be resolved.

The 2nd day of research

On the 2nd day, I went to some high schools in South Jakarta to distribute the questionnaires and interview some students to talk about bullying. Here are some facts that I've got from the 2nd day of research;

1. There is a different statement, between the Junior High School and the High School students. When most of the girls in the Junior High School said that the first person who told them about bullying was their friends. Mostly the High School students (boys and girls) know about bullying from their parents at the first time. I think it's proven that their parents have already done a great job encouraging their child to be a good person.

2. Based on the answers in the questionnaires, 4% (or 2 persons out of 50) boys in High School have experienced bullying. It's more often happening to the boys who have the feminine side or the boys who are known as a gay. Personally, I am really sad about this one. For me, being gay isn't wrong. It's all about the construction in the society and the choice of the person. Sometimes in Indonesia or Indonesian culture, being gay was something strange and embarrassing. Now, some people in Indonesia are trying to make a movement and defend the rights of gays. You can go to this link for more information (http://lgbtindonesia.org/main/).

3. When most of boys in Junior High School still believe that bullying can be resolved, 42% (or 21 persons out of 50) boys in High School are not sure that bullying can be resolved. They have already heard and seen bullying in Junior High School and still found bullying in High School. That's the reason why they think "bullying" can't be resolved. They think it's a culture.

4. Based on the answers in the questionnaires, I got the same result. 24%( or 12 persons out of 50) girls in High School have also experienced bullying. It's more often happening to girls who have known their friends or seniors as a "bad girl" or have a bad attitude. I am really sad to find out about this fact. Because for me, a "term" is just a "term" when you can't see a person's heart and mind. We can't deny that sometimes we judge the people from the outside, and it's happening because our brain is always made an opinion based on what we see at the first time. Our opinion about someone can change when we know more or get more information about that someone.

5. When most girls in Junior High School still believe that bullying can be resolved, 46% (or 23 persons out of 50) girls in High School are not sure that bullying can be resolved. The reason is not that different from the boys. When the Junior High School students have 2 or 3 years facing bullying in the school, the High School students have more than 3 years surrounded by any kinds of bullying in the school or their society.

The last day of research

On the last day, I interviewed an educator from San Fransisco named Chloe Messdaghi (https://twitter.com/Chloe_Messdaghi) who really cares about education including "bullying". This is her article about bullying (http://geniusfish.org/2013/10/31/bully/). She told me that bullying doesn't just occur in a friendship. Sometimes there are some teachers who bully their students.

Q: The Teachers?

A: Yes, some of my special needs students are yelled at or talked down by their teachers. In return, they do poorly in class and hate themselves. It's really a sad situation and I hate to see my students cry because a teacher called them slow or stupid.

Q: I've interviewed some students from Junior High and High School. Most of the students in Junior High School believe, that bullying can be resolved, but the most of High School students are not believe that bullying can be resolved. As an educator, what do you think about that?

A: I believe bullying can be prevented. It's a matter of bully cycle. For example, usually a bully at school is being bullied at home. In order for the individual to gain some power, the bully then bullies at school. Then the person who is being bullied by the bully tries to bully a sibling or a friend. One can even see bullying caused by bosses at the workplace. It's a pattern that can be resolved if we check in with ourselves and our environment.

Q: So your point is, the construction of family is really important to create someone's perspective about bullying in the environment?

A: I Believe so. But also at school. Make sure the teachers are aware of bullying and know how to treat students in a more positive manner.

That's all the results of my very simple research about "bullying" among the Junior High School and High School students in South Jakarta, Indonesia. As I said before, the data is not 100% right, because the result is only based on the answer of 200 respondents that I've interviewed and I just write the conclusion based on their answers in the questionnaires and also my opinion. Kindly share your experiences about bullying and your opinion about the result. I really happy if you're willing to share about it or even share the data that you have, about bullying in your city or your country.

education human rights peace Indonesia teenager jakarta bullying high school junior high school students