"Young people have ways to impact society and beyond" Global Input. Local Output

Publié 29 janvier 2014 Avatar JulieVOY

Avatar JulieVOY Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 30 septembre 2013

Are you making so you can learn?”

The VOY team attended a thought conversation on “Tapping into Children's Creativity for a Better World with David Sengeh, President and co-founder of GMin.org” on January 28th.

David Sengeh is an innovator, a thought leader, and a mentor for young people. He is currently a PhD candidate who began his inspiring work in prosthetics at MIT, “Not only are you lucky to have a prosthetic, but you're always uncomfortable.” His natural inclination to think about solving problems along with his work and his friend led him to think about a more personal connection on how to solve problems. He asked himself, “How can we work with young people to solve problems? How can you be an entity?”

InChallenge, InLabs, InCuvate

In with his new thinking, David Sengeh set out to launch a new challenge in Sierra Leone. David reiterated the top 3 priorities young people need to solve problems and continually innovate:

Resources- Young people need resources such as cash and tools to innovate.

Mentorship- Give young people proper mentorship and guidance.

Network- The most important resource that young people have is a network so they can share their ideas with each other. They can build, maintain, rely, and trust each other and ask questions. “We want people to learn. That's what we do as innovators. It's the ability to network and partner with others. This process is instrumental.”

The challenge was set, but what about a space? David Sengeh set out to build Innovation Labs to create a space where “young people can be free to create ideas to be crazy for once.” These spaces will be in Sierra Leone and provide tools, workshops, and programming. These spaces, or InLabs, will be the entry point for young people to build their ideas and continue to be innovators.

Young people have ways to impact society and beyond.”

VOY community- here is a thoughtful piece on innovation! Students who lived in a rural area could not receive the same quality of education as those who lived in the urban area. Instead of moving the best teachers from the urban areas to their schools, they worked with the teachers to develop materials. These young innovators worked together to record and broadcast it on the radio in their region. This way, students had access to other materials they could not receive in the classroom.

What do you think about a creative space to just be crazy? Would you like to see one developed in your own country?

radio innovation resources Creativity Sierra Leone GMin