A World at School Brings On Youth Leaders to Tackle Global Education Crisis

Publié 8 avril 2014 Avatar Mia Therese Jamili

Avatar Mia Therese Jamili Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 8 avril 2014

As a Global Youth Ambassador for A World at School, I want to call attention to the 57 million children around the world are currently being denied their human right to an education.

I am joined in this initiative by 500 other youth advocates for global education. Together, we make up the Global Youth Ambassadors group – launched on April 1, 2014 by the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the United Nations Special Envoy for Global Education Gordon Brown in support of the UN’s Global Education First! Initiative and the post-2015 Millenium Development Goals.

Shazia and Kainat are two of my fellow Ambassadors. Along with Malala Yousafzai, they were shot by the Taliban for going to school in Pakistan just over a year ago. Their story as well as the stories of the other youth advocates I have joined forces with inspire me to stand up for the millions of children that are kept out of school because of unequal access and opportunity and various forms of discrimination.

As firm believers that education is the answer to the greatest challenges we face as a society, we ask for your help in urging leaders to raise budgets, build schools, train teachers, and improve learning for all children.

It has been shown that we could lift over 170 million people out of poverty simply by teaching every child in low-income countries basic reading skills.

Let’s commit to making this a reality.

Unless we revert current trends, we will not even achieve universal primary education before 2086.

Join A World at School in our campaign to get every child into school and ensure that they receive a quality education. Support our calls to action and get all the latest news on global education online (www.aworldatschool.org) and on social media networks Twitter (@aworldatschool) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/AWorldAtSchool).

children youth education empowerment social change