Adolescence - Beyond the Stereotypes

Publié 8 septembre 2011 no picture

Inscrit le 23 août 2011

About the Publication

On the occasion of UNICEF’s State of the World’s Children (SOWC) 2011 on adolescents, UNICEF supported the production of a publication - “Adolescence – Beyond the Stereotypes” - that reflects on the state of the world from a young perspective. The publication has been created by an editorial team of 12 adolescents and young people from all parts of the world, who were involved in collecting, editing and reviewing the content, shaping the design and illustrations, and planning for the launch and distribution of the publication. The result is an authentic publication that reflects adolescents’ experiences and provides unique insights into their lives.

The content came from an open call for contributions on Voices of Youth in 2010, as well as from many partners and volunteers who ensured we were able to hear from adolescents that often do not have the opportunity to have their voices heard, including those without access to internet, children living with disabilities, refugees and street children.

You can explore the essays and messages written by adolescents here on Voices of Youth - and you can also download the full publication below.

Launch and exhibition

The publication was launched on September 8, 2011 at the UNICEF Headquarters in New York. President of the UNICEF Executive Board, Ambassador Sanja Štiglic, introduced the publication, while UNICEF Deputy Executive Director Geeta Rao Gupta and Professor John Santelli from Columbia University joined members of the adolescent team in a dialogue around adolescents and stereotypes.

Stereotypes video

In connection with the launch of the publication, we talked to students at Brooklyn International High School in New York to hear about their perspectives on adolescence and stereotypes: