Beauty Is Just Skin Deep

Publié 27 février 2014 Avatar Vijay_GEMConnect_Chennai_India

Avatar Vijay_GEMConnect_Chennai_India Voir le Profil

One day, when I went to the vegetable market with my mom, I was really appalled when I found many vegetables and fruits which were absolutely fine to be consumed being thrown away, considering only fact that their skin had some blemishes. Most of the people in the world throw out nearly half of their food, not because it’s inedible – but because it doesn’t look appealing. One Third of the world’s food is wasted, which is simply unacceptable. The underlying reasons for food wastage have their own difference,

1. Food waste in high-income countries is dominated by consumer waste.

2. Developing countries have high losses at the post – harvest and processing stages due to spoilage. Factors leading to spoilage include lack of modern transport and storage infrastructure, as well as financial, managerial and technical limitations in difficult climatic conditions.

Reusing food wastes through processes such as anaerobic digestion could return over 1.3 million tonnes a year of valuable nutrients to the soil, or generate over 1 terawatt - hour (Twh) electricity a year, enough to power over 600,000 homes.

Don’t you feel the need to conserve the food which is getting wasted?

If all this food is saved, it can be used to feed the needy, and also can be useful in many ways which can benefit a large number of people. I have mentioned some solutions which I think might play an important role in reducing the amount of food that is wasted. They are

1. We must encourage farmers to make use of less-than-perfect-looking products.

2. Adopting the practice of FIFO, First In, First Out. When unpacking groceries, move older products to the front of the fridge/freezer/pantry and put new products in the back. This way you are more likely to use up the older stuff before it expires.

3. Check in with your belly. The Solution to the “clean the plate! “ Issue. Simply take a moment to ask your body what it wants to eat, and how much — and then serve yourself that. Or simply start with less food on your plate. If you want more, you can always go for it.

4. The excess edible food in each and every one of our homes can be given to the needy people.

5. Food processing must be encouraged as this is a very easy and efficient way of reducing food wastage.

BETTER SOLUTIONS ARE ALWAYS WELCOMED …..

Source for Stats: http://www.unep.org/wed/quickfacts/

GEM GEM Food Security