Blood Diamonds

Publié 27 mars 2012 User_image_bg Adria

I'm really into fashion. I have my own fashion blog and love taking photos of people on the street. However, while I have an appreciation for the aesthetic of all designers, I try my best to shop sustainable and support local designers.

Since I have this personal mission to be as eco-friendly as I can through my fashion choices, you could imagine my outrage when I found out that conflict diamonds are still an issue. I, like many people, was perturbed when the movie "Blood Diamond" came out. However, I thought we've come to an era where something was being done about conflict diamonds.

Technically, there is something being done - the Kimberley Process. Basically it's a checks and balances system to make sure diamonds aren't funding military rebels. It gives countries and minds a "stamp of approval" if it passes. Seems legitimate right?

While it is definitely legitimate, recent news has questioned this process - saying it isn't doing enough. Zimbabwe's Marange mine was recently readmitted into the Kimberley Process, despite evidence that it was funding corruption and violence.

So why were they given a stamp of approval? The reason is that they aren't technically violating the Kimberley Process. The Marange mines aren't directly funding military rebels - which is the definition of the Kimberley Process.

Why doesn't violence and indirect corruption count? This is something the news has been struggling with - and frankly me, too. I find it difficult to accept, and makes me all the more paranoid about making sure if I ever purchase diamonds that I make sure I know exactly where the diamonds came from.

To put all of this inter perspective, I came across this image created by Ingle & Rhode, an ethical jeweler based in the UK. It compiled the evidence of corruption in Zimbabwe, really helping highlight the question, when is enough enough?