Child labour in Bangladesh! Let's fight back!

Publié 9 mai 2014 Avatar Ann Naser Nabil

Avatar Ann Naser Nabil Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 6 mai 2014

Children breaking bricks !

Children breaking bricks !

Yesterday I was surfing the net about child labour in Bangladesh! There I found something interesting! I found a site totally based on child labour and human rights. Now I am sharing some of it's articles! Here's some points about child labour in Bangladesh:

1) Child labour is a common sign in development countries like Bangladesh. Most of the children are doing their jobs in unhealthy conditions to earn. He is supposed to go to school at this time. But they cannot do it in poverty. In Dhaka City, we see large numbers of children working to clean the city under the city corporation of Dhaka. Most of the children come from slums areas. For their responsibility, they get 750-800 tk per month. However, in the labour law in Bangladesh, here the minimum wage is per month 1550tk. But they do not follow the government's rules.

2) Child domestic service is a widespread practice in Bangladesh. The Rapid Assessment of Child Labour Situation in Bangladesh (2003) estimated that in the city of Dhaka alone there were about 120,000 cases of child domestics. In Dhaka, city employers in the urban areas usually recruit children from their village homes through family, friends or contacts. Most of the child domestic workers come from vulnerable families, many of them being orphans or abandoned children. The majority of child domestics tend to be between 12-16 years old, but children as young as 5 or 6 years old can also be found working. A survey of child domestic workers found that 38% were 11-13 years old and nearly 24% were 5 - 1 years old. Their employers usually take care of their daily necessities like clothes, oil, soap, comb, towel, bedding and sleeping materials. The child domestic workers are often the least paid in the society, their remuneration ranging from 8taka to 40taka per month. In most of the cases, they hand over all their earnings to their parents, leaving nothing for themselves. Therefore, I think saving the neglected children should be part of our daily behavior.

3) Nowadays child labour is national problem in Bangladesh. Day by day child labour is increasing in different sectors, especially in rural areas. Most of the child labour have worked in agricultural sectors to earn money. The worst form of child labour is when children work for more than nine hours a day in the agricultural sector for lower than the minimum wage or no wage at all. Here, children are compelled to work on a regular basis to earn a living for themselves and their families, and as a result they are disadvantaged on the educational side and social side. Children work in conditions that are exploitative and damaging to their health and mental development. Children are separated from their families, often deprived of educational and training opportunities; they are forced to lead prematurely adult lives.

4)The figures are troubling and child labour is steadily become a unifying social economic problem amongst developed and developing countries. The International Labour Organisation (ILO), reports that based on a nation-wide survey of child trafficking, approximately 19 percent (%) of school children and 40 percent (%) of street children have been forced into child labour. I identify in our country large quantity of child labour include different types of activities like poultry firms to early age due to scarcity. However, they do not get profit continuously due to unhealthy condition. Bird flu is one kind of fever which sometimes destroyed our poultry firms. It becomes especially difficult in the winter season. Therefore, I think we should give them training and development.

5) Child labour is a far more complex and difficult phenomenon than campaigners suggest. While play and significant learning are as necessary for children as nourishment and love, it does not follow that initiation into a useful social function at the same time necessarily militates against the best interests of children.

child labor Bangladesh