Children help younger friends and neighbours prepare for primary school in Ethiopia

Publié 6 septembre 2011 no picture

The UNICEF-supported ‘Getting Ready for School: A Child to Child Approach’ programme in Ethiopia aims to prepare young children for their first year in primary school by building on the social dynamics that exist between older and younger children, as well as their natural tendency to play.

In Ethiopia, the programme has gained success since fifth and sixth grade students are teaching their younger cousins, friends and neighbours. Children in the ‘Child to Child’ programme learn basics such as how to hold a pencil and how to sit at a desk, all of which shows them what to expect when they go to school. As a consequence, dropout rates have fallen and disadvantaged children are given an opportunity to break the cycle of exclusion from education and reach their full potential.

To watch the video, please visit: http://www.educationandtransition.org/resources/children-help-younger-friends-and-neighbours-prepare-for-primary-school-in-ethiopia/