Children Speak out at the Global Platform

Publié 10 juin 2011 no picture

In May 2011, there was a Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, hosted by the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland.

Many Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) experts from different countries came together to discuss issues concerning DRR, and to come up with ideas on how to reduce the vulnerability of people facing these disasters.

One of the events was the Children’s Round Table. There were three children at a panel, in front of many adults from different organisations. Those children, coming from the Philippines and Kenya shared their experiences of disasters and spoke out their own opinions on DRR!

In the comment box below, you can also let us know what you think of this Global Platform; do you think it is a good idea to host such events? More importantly, do you think it was a good idea to get children involved in it as well?

From this Children’s Round Table, it was very nice to see how adults and children were coming together and working together to create a safer environment for all of us! How many times have you ever been able to talk to adults about what you think, and have them listen to you and take your ideas into consideration!!! Well, it’s nice to see how all children can do something now, and not wait until they grow up! They have their own experiences and opinions and how they cooped with disasters – those have to be heard!

That is why, you can share your own experience with disasters, and tell us about any work you or your friends, have been involved in to make your community safer, to inspire other children as well. And remember, you are not alone, and you can always seek help in adults, because they are there to help!

Video of summary of the Global Platform:

Link to Global Platform website: http://www.preventionweb.net/globalplatform/2011/

Photo Credits: Creative Commons http://www.flickr.com/photos/isdr