Climate Change: Are WE doing our BEST?

Publié 18 octobre 2012 no picture Saket Mani

no picture Saket Mani Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 29 avril 2011

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global average sea level.

• Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

Threats to biodiversity, spreading pollution, degraded river basins and disappearing forests are problems in most of the countries in the world, where climate change is knocking on the door. The poor are more dependent on natural resources and have less of an ability to adapt to a changing climate. Diseases, declining crop yields and natural disasters are just a few of the impacts of climate change that can devastate the world’s most vulnerable communities.

Youth and children, as the next generations, have the right to a clean future – Pick up any kid in a crowd and he/she would never wish to inherit a toxic, radioactive, dirty and carbon-driven world.

Of course young people like me are concerned, I think rightly much more than adults are, for the future of the world. “We have - most of us here - the sun on our backs, and they (youth & Children) have to face the sun and are very worried”.-Hugo Chavez

The youth today demands a clear definition of sustainable energy and time-bound targets for the implementation of a sustainable energy policy that will free us from respiratory ailments, air pollution, climate change and a radioactive legacy.

We also stand in solidarity with vulnerable communities, including low-income and marginalized groups, indigenous populations and those living in geographically vulnerable areas, which bear and suffer a disproportionate share of the impact of climate change. In the age of sensationalism, it is easier to propagate and digest news about pandas, elephants, great apes or whales dying as a result of hunting or habitat destruction than more complex stories of ecosystem degradation.

There is no point in changing the climate as it is hardly possible. So change the system.

-Saket Mani
                                                                                         Youth Activist
                                                    United Nations Environment Programme