Day One #PMNCH, Johannesburg, South Africa.

Publié 30 juin 2014 Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia

Avatar Brighton_EduConnect_Zambia Voir le Profil

Despite improvements, 289,000 women still die every year from complications at birth and 6.6 million children do not live to see their fifth birthday, including nearly 3 million newborns. At least 200 million women and girls are unable to access family planning services that would allow them to control when they have children.Recent data published in The Lancet Every Newborn Series indicate that 15,000 babies are born and die every day without ever receiving a birth or death certificate.

Responding to this crisis, more than 800 leaders and public health experts from around the world opened a landmark two-day meeting in Johannesburg to review new data and call for accelerated action to improve maternal, newborn and child health. The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (PMNCH) 2014 Partners' Forum was opened by Graça Machel, Chair of PMNCH and African Ambassador for Committing to Child Survival: A Promise Renewed, who is making her first public appearance since the end of her mourning period after the death of her husband, Nelson Mandela.

Despite all efforts, there is still much more to be done," said Graça Machel

The conference was precceded by a youth forum on Saturday. It comes to an end tomorrow, Tuesday first

children youth human rights HIV/AIDS Maternal health