Decision Making in Developmental Projects

Publié 25 février 2014 no picture Guru_GEMConnect_Chennai_India

no picture Guru_GEMConnect_Chennai_India Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 31 janvier 2014

The most critical issue with development is getting the right resources to where they are needed most and ensuring that those resources are being used in a sustainable manner. The greatest failure of community development to this day is the wasting of resources due to a lack of knowledge of the realities on the ground. It is this lack of meaningful investment - “the tragedy of aid” - which is the reason why even though a lot of money has been allocated to development projects, there is shockingly little growth to show for it. This occurs when governments, organisations, etc. impose “top-down” solutions that fail to take into account both the needs and wishes of the concerned community.

In the “top down” approach, the top level management takes a decision and passes it on to the bottom level for it to be carried out. "Top down" approaches usually create resistance, regardless of how well the decisions are made. Nobody likes people telling them what to do. They would prefer that they are asked what they would like to do. Decision making in the "top down" approach is restricted to the top brass; and excludes lower levels, even though they're the ones affected by the decisions. Such decisions generally lack information and ideas from those who will be affected by them.

A "bottom up" approach, however, is one that works from the grassroots - the community concerned is involved in the process of decision making right since the project inception. As the decisions are usually is taken by a large number of people, it is beneficial to the concerned community as a whole. The "bottom up" approach acts as an empowering process for people to handle challenges, giving them the right to make decisions that influence the direction of their own lives. It also emphasises the fact that the ones affected know best what problems they face, and incorporating their feedback into projects helps to increase its overall efficiency. This is possible when the communities are capable and willing to initiate the process and take part in the analysis. It leads to joint decision making about what should be achieved and how. While outsiders are equal partners in the developmental effort, the affected people are equal partners with a significant say in decisions concerning their lives. This interaction with the concerned people identifies and analyses critical issues, and an exchange of knowledge and experiences leads to solutions. Studies have shown that of the two approaches, the latter is better accepted by the public, and, needless to say, more effective. When community issues are rectified by community-developed solutions - ones that better understand the intricacies of local issues - success and sustainability are much more likely.

human rights empowerment GEM resources sustainable development GEM Sustainable Development