Drugs…A full stop to life!

Publié 29 avril 2011 no picture Saket Mani

no picture Saket Mani Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 29 avril 2011

Drug use is an increasing problem among teenagers in today's times. Most drug use begins in the teenage years. These years are the most crucial in the maturing process. Adolescents are curious and venerable and there is peer pressure to experiment. The use of drugs by teenagers is the result of a combination of factors such as peer pressure, curiosity, and availability. One of the most important reasons of teenage drug usage is peer pressure. Peer pressure represents social influences that effect adolescents that can have a positive or a negative effect, depending on the person's social group. We are greatly influenced by the people around us. A person might try drugs just to fit in the social norms, even if a person has no intentions of smoking tobacco-less hookah, they might do it just to be considered "cool" by his/her friends.

The popularity of Hookahs may be due in part to perceptions that they are safer than cigarettes. However, non-tobacco hookah smoke contains nicotine, carbon monoxide, tar and heavy metals than cigarette smoke. We believe teens are turning their attention to hookah because they think it’s a glamorous and safe alternative to cigarettes. It’s not! Hookah could be creating a whole new culture of young people. In addition, many coffee shops and restaurants feature hookah smoking on their patios, and hookahs are increasingly available for purchase. They are a common fixture at parties and friends’ homes. It’s more of a social thing. Hookah lounges promote a social norm that smoking is cool and safe. They’re a training ground for going to bars, drinking and illicit drug use. The damaging effects of hookah on teens are extensive, well-documented, and can be observed from the cradle to the premature grave. People shouldn’t get tempted into doing something they don't want to, by peer pressure. If these people can't accept you because you don't do exactly what they do, then that’s their loss. They'll have plenty of time to reminisce about how cool they were at college with their hookah, and how sad you were not joining in, when they've got lung cancer and are stuck on oxygen and sleeping upright so they don't drown in their sleep, and can't walk across a room unaided.

drug.jpg

The hookah smoke is flavoured so it smells sweet and attractive. Thus, a combination of low cost, social gatherings, peer pressure and perception of less risk makes hookah smoking very attractive. Its better late than never, so you could still stop it!

Therefore availability, curiosity and experimentation could result in drug addiction among teenagers. The problems of teenage drug use, depression and suicide are evident in our society. These are very real and threatening issues that have to be dealt with. Now in the 21st century we have to face the problems of our future generations. There are many non-profit organizations that help teenagers to cope with drug use. There are help lines, community services that offer information about drugs, and individual counselling is available almost in every education institution. There is help available to those who seek it. Would we ever be able to live in a drug free environment? Could we ever educate our future generations and peers so those drug problems would be non-existent? Hopefully the answer is “Yes! We Can”.

-Saket Mani (India)

Pictures uploaded by user Saket