Education: What should the priorities be in the Post 2015 Development Agenda?

Publié 21 janvier 2014 no picture Achmad

Inscrit le 9 octobre 2013

Education

Education

As we know, the United Nations initiated and formed the High-Level Panel of Eminent Persons on the Post-2015 Development Agenda. Another goal of the panel is to bring together a broad range of stakeholders to review progress on the MDGs and to discuss the options for a post-2015 development framework. After initiating the panel, the dialogue of development has been drafted, including 11 global thematic consultations:

1. Addressing Inequalities

2. Conflict, Violence and Disaster

3. Education

4. Energy

6. Governance

7. Growth and Employment

8. Health

9. Hunger, Food Security and Nutrition

10. Population Dynamics

11. Water

From the above, we know that Education is involved because of the obvious benefits for a better society. According to the global survey, My World, the majority of participants from 194 countries of more than 850,000 participants – 584,329 people – chose a good education as their top priority in the post-2015 agenda. 77 percent of participants were from low and middle income countries; and 64 percent of participants were under the age of 30.

To respond above, some agencies of the United Nations established The Global Thematic Consultation on Education in the Post-2015 Development Agenda. The consultation is co-led by UNICEF and the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), with support from the Governments of Canada, Germany and Senegal. The objective of the consultation is to progress and assist the program of education-related MDGs and Education for All (EFA).

The consultations noted that there has been significant progress from 2000–2010, including more than 50 million additional children enrolled in primary school. However, there are many shortcomings towards achieving education goals - related millennium development goals and education for all must be addressed. For instance we should address a narrow vision of educational access, the lack of focus on quality, gender equality is not yet a reality, inequality remains the biggest challenge, and underinvestment in education. These are shortcomings that need to addressed and worked on.

children youth UNICEF education post 2015 united nations