Education for Girls and Boys alike

Publié 14 septembre 2013 no picture Kriyana Reddy

no picture Kriyana Reddy Voir le Profil

All over the world, millions of young boys and girls are unable to get proper education. In countries like India, Nepal, Colombia and various parts of Africa, girls are often married off and boys are forced to work on the streets to earn a living for their family. Resources like clean water, food and shelter are perhaps not even available, however we must consider the premium of education. The key to ending the global chain, that perpetuates itself and has done so for centuries, is to implement universal education for ALL CHILDREN IN THE WORLD. It is not impossible to make sure that every child receives some education, adequate enough to prepare them for jobs, careers and later successes in life.

UNICEF has taken great measures to improve these situations by implementing programs such as the Child-to-Child initiative. Although we are becoming aware of these general problems, there is one crucial part of understanding that we are a missing, a piece of the puzzle that is lost, or so to say: the disparity in availability of education based on gender. Boys are some 85% more likely to receive some educational/ formal instructional guidance in their life than girls. In some countries, girls are shunned from society as sole child bearers and nothing more. What good is that when we have so many female leaders in the world: Hilary Clinton, Dilma Roussef, Angela Merkel? We should embrace the potential that girls have as equally as we embrace that of boys. By saying this, we should consider huge reform. Schools should be open to children of both genders and every child should receive equal resources. Listen to what Malala Yousafzai said! The 16 year old girl from Pakistan was a renegade for rights to education for girls in her village in Pakistan. Her outcry led to a pouring of support from all over the world that called for improvement in accessibility of education for girls. The Taliban was left out of it all and everyone looked at it in a simple way: humanely. Malala spoke at the UN General Assembly and addressed practically the whole world about this terrible plight. What can we do? It's simple...start changing mindsets. Hand in hand, one at a time, we can all do something to help. The only thing to remember is that revolutions don't arise in minutes. With hard work and perseverance, we can achieve equality in education for everyone around the world.

Can a woman become a genius of the first class? Nobody can know unless women in general shall have equal opportunity with men in education, in vocational choice, and in social welcome of their best intellectual work for a number of generations.---Anna Garlin Spencer

children youth developing countries UNICEF education activism peace girls gender rights boys equality disparity