Equal education opportunities for children with disabilities

Publié 21 septembre 2011 no picture

Over 1.5 million children in Central and Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CEE/CIS) live with disabilities. Commonly locked up in segregated institutions or hidden away in their homes, children with disabilities are one of the most marginalized groups of our society. They are often denied their basic right to quality education and lack opportunities to interact with their peers and participate actively in the society.

To promote inclusive education for children with disabilities, 20 representatives from the CEE/CIS countries as well as relevant stakeholders are gathering in Moscow on 27-29 September for the first-ever regional conference of this dimension. In the lead up to the Moscow conference, UNICEF podcast moderator Femi Oke talked to Ms Elina Lehtomaki, Researcher at the University of Jyväskylä in Finland and a pioneer in the field of inclusive education.

To listen to the podcast, please visit: http://www.educationandtransition.org/resources/equal-education-opportunities-for-children-with-disabilities/