Fight Malaria

Publié 24 février 2012 no picture Rachel

One million people are killed by malaria each year in Africa. Malaria is a life-threatening disease caused by a parasite called Plasmodium. It is transmitted via the bites of infected mosquitoes. The parasites multiply in the liver and further infect red blood cells in the human body.

Do you know that a child dies every minute of malaria in Africa? Mostly pregnant women and children in Africa suffer and die from this parasitic disease because they are vulnerable and they have not yet developed enough immunity to fight the infection. And when malaria patients don’t receive effective malaria drugs within 24 hours of the onset of symptoms, the infection can quickly progress and damage the kidneys, liver, lungs and lastly, the brain.

The first and most important approach to be taken is to provide access to long lasting insecticide-treated bed nets. It is a proven tool that has helped several African countries to reduce malaria infections and deaths by more than 50% in recent years, to the continent of Africa. Since the start of 2010, an estimated number of 70 million bed nets have been delivered to sub-Saharan Africa and today, nearly one million lives have been saved from malaria because of mosquito nets.

Malaria is one of Africa’s biggest child killers. It is treatable but complex disease. We are a million strong and we can make a big difference just by donating life-saving mosquito nets to save lives. Prevention is always better than cure.