Gender Discrimination in Bangladesh: Beyond Writing!

Publié 8 mai 2014 Avatar Ann Naser Nabil

Avatar Ann Naser Nabil Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 6 mai 2014

We don't often realize the effect
gender based discrimination has
on women's health. Growing up,
many girls lack nutrition in their
diet, there is no sports curriculum
for them in school and often they
are married off early. In this
episode, we discuss gender
discrimination and women's
livelihood in Bangladesh.
Produced by Desh TV in
collaboration with USAID & Voice
of America

We don't often realize the effect gender based discrimination has on women's health. Growing up, many girls lack nutrition in their diet, there is no sports curriculum for them in school and often they are married off early. In this episode, we discuss gender discrimination and women's livelihood in Bangladesh. Produced by Desh TV in collaboration with USAID & Voice of America

Discrimination & Beyond!
Discrimination means the ability to make or find out the difference to sensitivity, judgment, of something in our daily life. There is a lot of discrimination that happens around us. Discrimination also occurs in many countries. Each country itself has its own discrimination. There are many types of discrimination such as gender, age, race, and many more. The one that we want to focus on is is gender discrimination. In our opinion, gender discrimination is when men or women are discriminate against as a result of their gender. Gender discrimination is when people are unfairly treated because they are either male or female. Generally, gender differences have been used to give good reason for different roles for men and women and in some cases giving rise to claims of primary and secondary classes.
Let's focus on...

The country that we want to focus on about gender discrimination is Bangladesh. Bangladesh suffers from gender discrimination and is present at all community levels. We can see that gender discrimination between women and men is quite strong. In Bangladesh, women are dependent on men throughout their lives: fathers, husbands, and sons.
Women and young girls are more disadvantaged than men in regards to education, health care and financial assets. There are several factors that make gender discrimination happen in Bangladesh. Firstly it is a family and gender issue. Gender discrimination starts from birth and continues throughout life in Bangladesh. As a result discrimination develops between boys and girls, and boys are considered to be more advantageous and the girls are considered to as burden of the family. Girls often suffer gender discrimination both within school and within the community- from teachers, parents and peers. Besides that, gender discrimination also happens in educational institutions. In the classrooms, the teachers always prefer to the boys to be a captain of the class because they think only the boys have a leadership quality. This situation makes the girls are feel neglected. Sometimes when a female student cannot not prepare for their task for burden with household activities, teachers (even female teachers) do not handle the class sensitively and softly. In the coeducation system, sometimes the sitting arrangement of the boys and girls is separate. The impact of this will create in the mind of the students that they should be different from every viewpoint.
So, in my opinion, whether there is a male or female, we should respect each other because we have different responsibilities. Here's a video talking about gender discrimination and women health in Bangladesh! Jiboner Golpo: Gender Discrimination & Women's Health'

leadership Bangladesh writing gender discrimination female male gender roles