Green economy localised

Publié 3 décembre 2013 no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba

no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 8 novembre 2013

Assessing “Greenness” of my local economy

An article in the World Bank website (http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2013/04/04/creating-global-green-growth-indicators ) proposes the following areas as being critical in the assessment of progress made towards a green economy.

· environmental and resource productivity and innovation

· natural assets (including biodiversity) and their cost-effective management

· the environmental quality of life (including access to basic services such as clean water)

· related green growth policies, economic opportunities and social context of green growth

· monitoring sustainability of overall economic developments

With these monitoring factors in mind, I decided to use the three strategic areas of sustainable development in my assessment of the progress being made towards a green economy by my local community.

1. Environment

The impacts businesses in the area having on the environment automatically disqualify it from the running to a green economy. The waste from the businesses in the area are first of all not recycled secondly, they are poorly disposed. The leadership is not so keen on waste management, most of the waste collection companies are privately owned, and in their chase for profit they dispose-off the waste in the cheapest and environmentally unfriendly manner.

2. Social issues

This touches on human wellbeing and social equity, these are mostly influenced by the economic activities in the area as well as the availability of social programs either instituted by the government or by private organizations.

The numerous small businesses in the area were an indication of the ease of setting up a business which eventually translates to employment creation especially for the poor majority in the society. Their also exists a number of privately owned social ventures most of which were non-profit and aimed at reducing pain and suffering for some of the community members who could not provide for themselves. This included children orphanages and religious institutions. There is also good access to basic services by majority of the community members.

3. Economy

Majority of the commodities that are in the market in the area are not locally produced, this means the aspect of exploitation can only be looked at in terms of use of the environment for waste disposal. I could not also measure the contributions made to the GDP by the local economic activities in the area, however, what was clear was that the small businesses in the area had immense value in contributing to the social status of majority of the community members. Such businesses include tuck shops, vegetable and fruit vendors, butcheries and several other retail outlets.

In conclusion, the one thing that is essential in ensuring smooth progress towards a green economy is visibility of a responsible and well structured local authority. This is largely missing in my home area.

youth community Green economy nairobi