International Day for Disaster Reduction 2011

Publié 13 octobre 2011 no picture

Video: DRR and Education – In Georgia, a UNICEF-supported Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) programme was officially incorporated into the national curriculum last month, providing learning materials for school children, along with educational games and child-friendly posters.

NEW YORK, 12 October 2011 – This year, the International Day for Disaster Reduction will be commemorated on Thursday, 13 October focusing on children and young people as partners in Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).

It is estimated that as many as 175 million children a year will soon be affected by disasters. Building on the momentum of the Third Global Platform, UNICEF is working with Plan International, Save the Children, World Vision and the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) to advocate for and mobilise support to the Children’s Charter for DRR. The Charter states, among others, that child protection must be a priority before, during and after a disaster; community infrastructure be safe, and relief and reconstruction help reduce future risk; and disaster risk reduction reach the most vulnerable.

UNICEF, Plan International, World Vision, Save the Children and The Institute of Development Studies (working together as ‘Children in a Changing Climate’), along with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, say it is essential to include the unique perspectives of children and young people in reducing disaster risk and adapting to climate change.

DRR and Education

There is increasing evidence that students at all ages and levels can actively study and participate in school safety measures. They can work with teachers and other adults in the community towards minimising risk before, during and after disaster events. Working in partnerships, UNICEF works to empower the most vulnerable by not only promoting safe schools but by teaching valuable life skills to children who in turn, are better able to help themselves, their families and communities.

For more information, please visit click here!