Meet Adelheid, a young film maker from Taiwan

Publié 3 décembre 2013 Avatar KateVOY

Avatar KateVOY Voir le Profil

Adelheid Sudibyo is one of the PLURAL+ filmakers

What is your name and where are you from?

Adelheid Sudibyo, from Taiwan

What is your video about?

My video is mainly about how we lack social inclusion, how we as a society still exclude those people who we think are different from our idea of ‘normal’. In this video, instead of focusing on the people who exclude, I focus on the people who feel excluded.

Why did you make this video? What motivated you to make it?

I made this video because I was inspired by my own personal experience. There was a time when I was excluded, when I was criticized just because I was different from the others and I just wanted to share a bit of my experience.

What would you like to tell to global audiences about the subject matter of your video?

I would like to tell to global audience to pay more attention in developing social inclusion. To those who feel excluded, I want to say that changing the person we are will not help us at all. We should have love and respect for the person who we really are.

Was it difficult to get access to video equipment (camera and editing) to make your video? Whose equipment was it? How did you manage access to it?

No, it wasn’t difficult. I had my own equipment (though it was very simple) and my friends were more than willing to help. This was my first video.

Do you think that what is shown in the media changes people’s perceptions and opinions about issues? How?

I think, and I hope, that people will change their opinions on this matter, especially for those who feel like they are victims of social exclusion. I hope that through this video, they will see that hiding and giving up will not help them much. I also hope that they will have the will strive and survive, just like I did.

Why do you think it is important for young people to make videos and to produce other types of media?

It’s important for young people to create videos and other media because young people have the power to make change. We can affect each other just by sharing our stories and through videos and other media; we can tell our stories to the world and inspire people who we’ve never met before.

Do you think youth-produced media deserves better channels of distribution?

Yes. There aren’t many worldwide events to support youth-produced media, so if possible maybe there could be more video festivals and workshop. Therefore, many young people can pour out they’re desire to make videos while making change.

What advice would you give to a young person who would like to make a video too?

I would say, “be true and honest, be yourself”. Think about how you would be affected if you watch your own video; think about what inspiration you want to give and how you connect your inspiration with your personality and experience.

WATCH Adelheid's PLURAL+ video here: http://youtu.be/qD7yFTBHqhQ

youth youth media Taiwan PLURAL+