Midnight Miracle

Publié 14 septembre 2011 no picture

Inscrit le 14 septembre 2011

I was not supposed to say this but I had to say this. Not for the use of boast or respect. Just a pure explanation of the situation.

It was a merry month for most of the Indonesians. Moeslems are fasting with sole faith and work with metal will. They need to be pure and wealthy for the Eid Mubarak. They are going to go back to their hometown to gather with their family.

My brother and I felt hungry and since our maid went home the day before, we decided to find some food. We went to our favorite street vendor to eat. My Dad was hungry back at home so he ordered some food. We had to go to another restaurant to get it.

It was some days before the d-day. The roads started to clear a bit as the clock almost strike eleven pm. Along in the street, food vendors in front of the morning market that used to sell their traditional snacks vanished as if they had never been there.

Only one large hand-made wooden cart parked in the street. My brother who likes to step in the gas pedal harder than anyone else, slowed down and u-turned after we passed the cart. He asked me, "I only have fifty thousand rupiahs (around $6) to buy the food. Do you have money to buy it?"

I wondered why he asked this. The food would only cost twenty five thousand rupiahs. I was thinking that he would use his money to buy cigar or stuff. I said I have the money then he parked ten feet away from the cart. He took out the fifty thousand rupiah and hand it to me, "Give this to the lady there. Give it nicely, say that this is Eid Mubarak's fortune."

I was a bit nervous but I stepped out of the car. I saw an early thirty lady with dirty clothes and very much tanned skin ready to pull her cart away. Behind her tired shoulder, scraps of paper and folded card boxes were piled up. On it, there were two children - a boy and a girl. They wore incredibly small tee - due to their changing size.

The lady was tired but when she saw my face she still smiled at me. I walked up to her and said, "Miss, here is for you. Take it as Eid Mubarak's fortune." She smiled ear-to-ear showing her teeth and took the money while saying lots of gratitude. Her eyes were wet with damming tears as I left her with good feelings.

My brother drove away as soon as I got in. He said, "Look. She woke her kids up right away."

I looked at the rear window, the lady went to the back of the cart and woke her children up. She hugged her one by one before hugging them all at once.

"Isn't it better than a plate of food? It's more than everything if we could make someone's life happy. It is so hard to get even just fifty thousand rupiah for them. Maybe she could buy her kids good food or milk." That's what my brother said.

I was following my friend's (Amanda Inez) on writing here. My brother disallow me on publishing this event, but I do feel the urge on telling how there are still poor people. Not only a man or a woman but also children. They have the right to live well, and if they can't, we as the one living better should share with them.

There are still more than one or two poor region in Indonesia. Starting from beggar to scavengers living in the public dumpster, they all need our help and the government help.

What I am trying to say is, to share is not something you should be scared of. There is happiness in it. Their happiness and your happiness. Your share can change the world. Start to make a change from now.

Warm regards, Sisca Spencer Hoky

(siscaspencerhoky@gmail.com) (twitter: @siscaspencer)