My 14th Revolution Around the Sun

Publié 8 septembre 2011 no picture

Inscrit le 23 août 2011

Spring Hope springs eternal, and so do my yearly examinations. Weeks of preparation, revision and recollection leaves us sleepless and drained out.

The year we spend at school, we hope to learn, to study things we want to keep with us for life. Our school years are when we learn, play and most importantly grow the most, mentally, physically emotionally and morally. So, in this season of new beginnings, let us pledge to make schools what they are meant to be.

Summer After a long year at school, the summer vacation comes as a refreshing break. India is a melting pot of cultures and religions. There are over a hundred dance forms and many music schools yet how many opt for arts as a career? It is not the passion we are lacking but the encouragement.

Parents are not receptive to careers which do not fall into the norms. Many schools do not encourage it either. If you are in 9th – 12th grade, you do not have any more ‘time’ for extracurricular activities. Hence, summer is the season we play, dance, sing, and enjoy to the fullest. We seize the day, celebrating until school starts again.

Monsoon The rain was coming down in buckets, and I had to go to school. I trudged through the rain with an umbrella to my bus stop. As I waited for the bus, I saw a poor girl, from a local municipal school, walking to her school without shoes. I was horrified. Here I am complaining so much about going to school, where as this girl is walking in the rain, without shoes, just to get her education.

The majority of the children in India go to municipal schools where they learn English only as a second language. They teach all subjects in the regional language. This proves to be a major setback to these children as getting a job later on becomes tough. After high school, they still do not learn many of the life skills that are needed for a better job and they end up being farmers, masons, drivers, and house cleaners.

Winter Winter is the season of festivals. We remember all that we are thankful for. For me, one of the things I am thankful for is that I live in a secular country. We celebrate so many different festivals, Diwali, Id, Christmas, New Year…

...Life in India, as an adolescent, may be troublesome at times, but at the end of the day, I would not want to be anywhere else. Therefore, as my 15th birthday approaches or my 14th revolution around the sun ends, I look forward to my next revolution. A new adventure. A new beginning. To dream. To Learn. Discover. Explore. LIVE.

– 14-year-old from India (female)

This entry is part of a series of essays and messages from the publication "Adolescence - Beyond the Stereotypes" - written, compiled and edited by adolescents and young people themselves with support from Voices of Youth and UNICEF.