Over 200 Schoolgirls Abducted in Nigeria

Publié 25 avril 2014 no picture Sandhya K

no picture Sandhya K Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 13 avril 2014

In the pre-dawn hours on Tuesday of last week, over 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped by the Boko Haram, a local terrorist group. Around 40 girls were able to escape by jumping out of the back of the truck or by running away and hiding in the dense forest. One of the Boko Haram's main beliefs is that women must remain at home, instead of pursuing a career and education, in order to care for the household and children. This terrorist group is going to extremes to enforce their beliefs. The Boko Haram has kidnapped women before, usually to force them to serve as their wives or perform sexual services.

This kidnapping is first of all a major insult to the Nigerian military, as they are still unable to locate the Boko Haram and the schoolgirls. Secondly, it highlights the sad truth that women are still not seen as equals to men. Women have progressed so much in the recent years in respect to careers and education rights, but many women are left behind in developing nations. Century-old ideals and roles are being forced upon these young and talented women. This incident has most probably discouraged other girls from attending school, thus fulfilling the goals of the Boko Haram. These girls must be provided with safe schools and environments that encourage their educations and help them realize that they are equal to men.