Poverty & Education

Publié 28 février 2012 no picture

In the modern 21st century world, formal education remains as important as ever in dictating an individual's future. With ongoing developments like the continued specialization of labor and the academic prerequisites for various occupations, those who do not have a solid educational background will find it hard to survive in today's postindustrial society. Today, one's earnings are dependent on the credentials you hold. The economic and educational variables of everyday life are interrelated, and for many of those in poverty, knowledge is the only alternative to better their standard of living. And as the lack of proper academia within impoverished societies continue, the vicious cycle of poverty continues unhampered, with generation after generation of individuals earning substandard income and surviving only with inadequate resources.

Various factors can be linked as contributors to this stigma. The financial costs of earning an education could be viewed as less-than-affordable to the poor, and with the continued lack of knowledge, these individuals are not aware of the opportunities of possessing a formal education. Certain societies maintain a meager status quo that might not have use of a formal education, and as these individuals have been raised in that sort of environ, they are unable to grasp the necessity of an academic background. Another cause can be attributed to the lack of educational resources in impoverished schools, whether they be textbooks or faculty members. Both are arguably the backbone of such educational institutions, but how much support can a school catering to the destitute receive? The state of affairs is an endless and repetitive loop.

Organizations around the world have spent the last several decades attempting to address this problem. Funds have been set up, donations have been given, and until today altruists out there continue to promote the importance of education in the hopes of eradicating poverty in societies. To put it into a succinct analogy, they seek to nip poverty in the bud by educating individuals from a young age. But until today, the insolvent continue to suffer from a lack of proper information and will continue to live in destitution until reparations can be made.