Pride and Prejudice

Publié 30 décembre 2013 no picture Maryam Nawaz

no picture Maryam Nawaz Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 30 décembre 2013

I happened to meet a Chitrali girl a couple of days back: compactly wrapped in her plain, batiste, black shawl, and her eyes always looking down. She seemed to be quite introverted and diffident to me. At first glance, she was like a fish out of water.
Intrigued by her novelty and the tales heard about their lifestyle, I was compelled to become acquainted with her. To my surprise, the misconception about them being conservative became a heap of mud the instant she started expressing her thoughts. I was greatly moved by her confidence, well-awareness and spirit --- unlike what is usually thought of her people. Asking her about her experience in Lahore, she replied quite plainly and relaxed.

"HUMARAY HAN BAHAR JANAY KA RIVAJ NAHIN, HUM TO DERWAZAY TAK B NAHIN JATAY"

A bit startled and uncertain I was after her prompt reply (which seems to be conservative but was not, rather based on religious morality if thought of sensibly).

Feeling her to be a bit uncomfortable on the velvety, pliable sofa, I asked her to lie down on the bed if she wants to.

"HUM SB FARSH PER BETHTAY HA, UPER NAHIN BETHTAY"

She was her unembarrassed by her reply. That made me speechless one more time (as being the host I could not ask her to sit on the floor).

As luminant as her name, "Roshan Bano," I wanted to think that law was her career. As I progressed further, it rendered me to be more optimistic about her. Vivid in her thoughts, lucid inside out, naive deep down to her soul, unmasked, she was an embodiment of uprightness and candor. She was unlike us who are translucent people.

Being rational, the notion I want to depict is that the orthodox approach towards them should now be changed. People living in upper northern Pakistan are inflicted by our prejudice. We think of them as backward and hidebound people. However, they are conformists, not extremists. People with middle of the road thoughts, neither too liberal nor too conservative. They are balanced people, restricted by some petty rules. They lead life as mediocre: firmly adherent to the radical principles of Islam. They live in a parallel: heading from the dark valley of ignorance towards the highway of awareness. If they channel their energies in a positive direction, their morality, iron will and genuineness, they will surpass the rest.

Honestly speaking, after she left and I re-evaluated my own self, I did not deem myself on par with her. Despite better qualification, aptitude and skills, I felt INFERIOR to her.

This reminded me of nothing other than

"ALL MANKIND IS FROM ADAM AND EVE, AN ARAB HAS NO SUPERIORITY OVER A NON-ARAB NOR A NON-ARAB HAS ANY SUPERIORITY OVER
AN ARAB; ALSO A WHITE HAS NO SUPERIORITY OVER BLACK NOR A BLACK HAS ANY SUPERIORITY OVER WHITE EXCEPT BY PIETY AND GOOD
ACTIONS"

islam pakistan extremism Chitrali conservative