Racism on the Green Grass

Publié 23 juin 2011 Avatar Etienne

Avatar Etienne Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 2 mars 2011

Only a couple of months ago, the plans of the French Football Federation (FFF) to reduce the number of players with African or Muslim background in the national team caused outrage all over the world.

Now another case of racism shattered the idyllic world of "fair play": in a game of the Russian football Premier League fans of the home team Krylya Sovetov threw a banana at the Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos. The man who won the World Cup 2002 with Brazil immediately left the pitch as a protest against the racist outburst.

The Russian Football Federation launched an investigation against Krylya Sovetov. In March the club Zenit St Petersburg was fined with $ 10, 000 after their fans offered a banana to Carlos.

Cases of racism occur frequently on the stands and the pitches all over the world. It is on the FIFA, the clubs and the fan scenes to do something about it and show future generations that football is not only about how hard you can kick the ball or how high you jump, but also about sportsmanship and tolerance.