Sao Paulo+20: Brazilian youth lead by example

Publié 8 juin 2012 no picture

Inscrit le 14 mai 2012

On June 1-3 at the International College of Rio Branco, students hosted "Sao Paulo+20", a model UN negotiation similar to the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20) in Rio de Janeiro this month. Participants formed 20 different delegations, representing countries and international bodies such as the World Trade Organization (WTO) and World Bank. They discussed the definition of sustainable development and how to implement concrete measures at the global level.

One of the first topics was agricultural production, including the need for new energy sources that do not use fossil fuels. The participants also discussed the importance of investment in new technologies, which will be essential in the transition to a more sustainable and "green" economy. They proposed creating a new fund to provide credit for investment in developing countries.

The participants agreed that the eradication of poverty is a key step in achieving real sustainability. Natural resources must also be protected and conserved for future generations.

Sao Paulo+20 was covered by a leading news network, TV Brazil here. Congrats to these youth for showing the world how to compromise and find solutions for a more sustainable planet!

More info (in Portuguese):

SP+20 Website

SP+20 on Facebook