Sea Level Rise in Coastal Areas of Nigeria?

Publié 1 novembre 2013 no picture Cadmus Atake-E

no picture Cadmus Atake-E Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 31 octobre 2013

Over the years there has been a rapid increase in global temperatures, excessive rainfall and high level of evaporation all around the world. All this occurs as a result of climate change through the global warming phenomenon. Hence global warming is basically the rapid increase in carbon-dioxide emissions mainly as result of burning fossil fuels undermining the international accord to reduce such emissions as addressed in the Kyoto Protocol adopted in 1997. It was signed by 186 countries in 2001, and established to cut down carbon emissions. Currently most multinational oil companies in the Niger delta region engaged in gas flaring which is a major cause of carbon dioxide emission that leads to global warming.
It may interest you to know that Nigeria emits about 35 million tons of carbon dioxide with 12 million tons of methane from Rivers and Delta State alone (Eraction 2004). In a recent report we were informed that rising sea levels from warming temperature will submerge Lagos, Bayelsa, rivers, states, and half of Delta state and Cross rivers state. All these events are unfolding themselves gradually (Eraction 2007). In July 10th 2011, Lagos State experienced a heavy down pour with a water level of about 3 to 5 feet in some areas. The flood practically shut down the entire state. This was a result of a raise in sea level (daily times.com.ng). In August 2011,1n Ibadan at least 102 persons were thought to have been killed by a flood in and around the south –western Nigeria as a result of heavy rains, and from records last year alone. About 500,000 people were displaced nationwide as a result of floods and heavy rainfall around the nation (BBC mobile.com) and the same thing reoccured in July-October 2012. It spread through some major states in the nation and six states were mainly affected by the floods and they were: Delta, Baylsa, Kogi, Benue, Rivers and Anambra. It displaced about 7,75398 and lives lost amounted to about 363. Apart from these persons some other persons was accounted for to have been treated for various injuries. The flooding was recorded and refered to as the Nigerian flood of 2012. It was the worst flooding that has ever occured in Nigeria as a nation for over a decade.
Causes of Sea Level Rise There are two main factors that have contributed to observed sea level rise. Firstly thermal expansion: as ocean water warms up, it expands thereby increases the sea water level. Secondly from the contribution of land based ice due to increased melting of the ice caps and the major store of water on land is found in glaciers and ice sheets. Sea level rise is one out of many that strongly supports the view that the climate has recently warmed. It is very likely that human aided (anthropogenic) warming also add to sea level rise observed in the latter half of the 20th century. There is widespread agreement that significant long term sea level rise will continue for centuries to come most especially in coastal regions of Nigeria. From scientific studies projected sea level rise to end of the 21st century relative to the global average sea level at the end of the 20th century. Their projection for this time period is for an increase in sea level between 18 and 59cm (7.1 and 23inch) according to intergovernmental panel on climate change(IPCC).
Effect: Based on the projected increases stated above ,notes that current and future climate change would be expected to have numerous impacts, particularly on coastal systems such as • Increase flood risk and potential loss of lives • Increased coastal erosion • Changes in surface water quality and ground water characteristics • Increased loss of property and coastal habitats • Loss of nonmonetary cultural resources and loss of tourism, recreation and transport function. There is an implication that many of these impacts will be detrimental especially for the three quarters of the world’s poor who depends on agriculture systems and fish farming. We cannot actually put an end to these occurrences but we can at least reduce the impact by putting an end to gas flaring and burning of fossil fuels in the nation by multinational oil companies in the Niger Delta and by leaving the new oil in the soil as recommended by environmental right action /friends of the earth Nigeria (ERA/FoEN). And reducing the amount of carbon emitted by into the atmosphere daily by multinational companies and organisation operating in coastal areas.

Environment global warming nigeria Water Niger Delta carbon-dioxide emissions rivers rains flood coast gas flaring fossil fuels