South Sudan Youth Baseline study completed

Publié 19 septembre 2012 Avatar Etienne

Avatar Etienne Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 2 mars 2011

A recently concluded youth baseline study in the Eastern Equatoria, Jonglei and Upper Nile states of the republic of South Sudan show that many South Sudanese youth still have their rights unfulfilled, experience violence and wish to contribute towards the development of their country South Sudan.

The baseline study was part of a youth initiative funded by Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) in partnership with the government of South Sudan and UNICEF.

The initiative dubbed Youth LEAD (Leadership, Empowerment, Advocacy and Development) is a three year initiative aimed at enhancing the development and participation rights of youth as well as advocating for favourable youth policy environment in the Republic of South Sudan.

In the baseline study, youth denounce violence, demand for education, youth friendly spaces and express their desire to contribute towards the development of their communities and country.

The baseline study findings have been used in the advocacy for South Sudan's revision of the existing Youth Policy. At a recent youth dissemination workshop hosted by the Ministry of Youth Culture and sports and facilitated by UNICEF, participating youth confirmed the dire youth situation in the country while at the same time expressing optimism that their country would overcome most of the development challenges.