Sustainable energy is quality of life

Publié 7 février 2013 Avatar Maria Eugenia Rinaudo

Avatar Maria Eugenia Rinaudo Voir le Profil

Our current development model and our total dependence on fossil fuels have been the main causes for the current social and economical imbalance that humanity is facing right now. The entire world is living critical situations related to the environment, the economy and politics, which have reduced the capacity of governments to ensure a suitable quality of life for its citizens. Without any doubt about it, climate change is one of the main situations that afflict humanity, causing a lot confusion and instability in society and creating general alarm actions oriented towards adaptation and mitigation. Therefore, global warming is the main challenge facing society to ensure the survival of humanity and all species, trying to make connections economic, political, technological, and social relationship to the environment and its resources. In this case, renewable energy, representing the first step that the world must take into account to promote adequate access to sustainable development, thus improving the quality of life of societies, including aspects such as education, health, water and food security. Energy efficiency at the local, national and international, allowing consolidation of sustainable development and a step forward in meeting the Millennium Development Goals, promulgated by the United Nations in 2000, with the aim of promoting equitable development in all nations of the world, improving the quality of life of people. At present, more than 3000 million people worldwide, rely solely on traditional biomass or coal as the main energy sources and more than 1.4 billion people have no access to any form of energy. Is possible to live in a world with a fossil-free energy system? Sustainable energy refers to a permanence over time, with minimal impact on energy expenditure, which would imply a new form of development to social and environmental connection. Another necessary aspect, is the discussion of access and rational use of renewable energy, because unfortunately, not all nations have the same opportunity to use or distribute clean energy in an effective way, thus, further complications in promoting the quality of life of people, especially those who are most vulnerable. Resources derived from renewable energy, many nations can obtain direct benefits to its citizens. Thus, they can improve the living conditions of their communities and are otherwise mitigating climate change. The world population growth has been dramatic in recent decades, it is for this reason, it is necessary to promote eco-citizen awareness, both corporations organized as governments, strengthening the creation of public policies based on the right have and enjoy a "clean environment", through viable and affordable solutions. Although at present, some nations have mobilized for efficient energy strategy, still not enough and it is really worrying future projections on the use of coal as an energy priority for everyone. Focus the alternative to change through renewable energies, should be considered a challenge. We must learn to combat the "fears" of the phenomenon generated by fossil fuels and understand that a key to success lies within the same ecological options of our Earth and the science available to us. To that end, the exchange of technologies and experience, will help strengthen the implementation of a renewable energy system, which together with the support of national and international policies, we could establish a genuine transition to an equitable system overall. It's not about acting to curb climate change, it's about the same act to adapt and survive in a world with a growing population and an intensification in increasing demand for natural resources and energy.

“Energy conservation is the foundation of energy independence”. - Thomas H. Allen