Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement - A Case Study

no picture Divyajyoti_GEMConnect_Chennai_India
Inscrit le February 2, 2014

This is a success story of a group of medical students who set out to provide health and education to the tribal and rural people.

In 1984, a group of medical students at Mysore Medical College led by Dr. R. Balasubramaniam thought of making a difference and travelled to the sub-urban and tribal areas of Karanataka (India). With the help of the Mysore District Administration they set up a clinic in one of the tribal hamlets – Brahmagiri which is 80 km from Mysore. At present they have community based Health and Education projects going on catering to a populace of 4,000,000 including the tribal people and the rural poor.

The state of the art training resource centre, Vivekananda Institute for Leadership Development (VILD) at Mysore, serves as a base for urban based interventions.

SVYM’s Educational initiatives include:

Two schools:

1. Viveka Tribal Centre for learning at Hosahalli (Karnataka)

2. Viveka School of Excellence at Saragur.

And four community based activities – Shikshanavahini, Prerepana, Vidyakiran and Premavidya.

The organization has also received many awards –

Karnataka State AIDS Prevention Society's Award – 2010

Swami Vivekananda Award – 2012

Dr. Gangadhara Sharma Award – 2012

to name a few.

The innovative approach towards education is what is needed in today’s world. Working endlessly in the field, I am sure many such youth will help increase the literacy rate in India taking care of all the communities thriving for education.