Terror scars: I fear I am losing my country

Publié 17 juin 2014 no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba

no picture Kwoba @H_Kwoba Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 8 novembre 2013

They killed forty eight men one night ago. They came in to the town, took out a police station, demobilized them and then proceeded to shoot at everything male in their path. They shot them and left their bodies lying in the dark to be collected and disposed. They didn't care; shot at close range and left them for dead. They killed forty eight people in less than four hours.

Sadly this is not a one time only incident, there is more...

A well executed shoot to kill attack in a high end mall in Nairobi; four bomb attacks within three days, two in Mombasa and two in two in Nairobi; a failed bomb attempt in a different area and a credible bomb scare in another.

This is not a war zone; it is not Somalia or Baghdad (apologies for this reference). This is “peaceful” Nairobi. We do not have any religious rifts, and our tribal frictions have not reached bomb proportions; what we are experiencing are terror attacks. It is the work of religious extremists acting in the name of revenge.

In Nigeria they have taken our little girls; innocent little angels have been kidnapped because they dared to go look for an education, apparently girls in such area are not supposed to-Malala might ring a bell at this point. It’s been two months since they were taken.

In Somalia they are now so brave they attacked the Parliament! The story is no different in Afghanistan or Syria; politicians have become their prime targets. In Iraq ISIS is taking over the country, day after day they edge closer to Baghdad. Countries all over the world are feeling the pinch, they are spending so much money on defense and budget allocations that are directly linked to preventing terror attacks have reached huge proportions.

Is it about time we changed tactics and considered dialogue as an option to combat terrorism? I fully understand why governments would not want to indulge in this, but then when you have evidently proved incompetent in handling such issues, shouldn't they suck it and choose the best way out?

Let’s take the Nigerian situation as an example; sometime last month while I was still developing this article their government had softened its stand on negotiation, and they were showing willingness to seeking a political settlement. I don’t know what changed, but since other options were not yielding any result I would also recommend this option. The US the government agreed to demands of exchanging the Taliban leaders for a captured US Marine.

If you live in Nairobi you will understand the threat is very real. It is no longer something you see happening in a war torn Muslim populated area (again, apologies for the reference, blame the media), it is at our door step taking so many lives. People are on high alert; we do not take this lightly anymore. We are deeply concerned.

Whose war are we paying for?

Violence war syria media nigeria iraq nairobi extremism #BringBackOurGirls Mombasa terror attacks Afghanistan ISIS