The Light Amongst The Darkness

Avatar International Youth Representative
Unitika Schlawenger

“First: Examine our attitude towards peace itself. Too many of us think it is impossible. Too many think it is unreal. But that is a dangerous, defeatist belief. It leads to the conclusion that war is inevitable — that mankind is doomed — that we are gripped by forces we cannot control. We need not accept that view. Our problems are man-made. Therefore, they can be solved by man. And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man’s reason and spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable — and we believe they can do it again.”

The respectful John Kennedy has in this explore-able explanation towards peace, provided a light of hope for me.

It is a reminder, on this day and this event, that there is no problem in this whole universe which is unsolvable. Calling everything currently impossible, possible with time, I want to start my words to you with gratitude and the acknowledgement to the honor it is to be sharing with you my views, over the years.

To start with the acknowledgement of no lock present without a key is indeed a calming thought.

But the darkness and catastrophic locks we have encountered through the years, internationally in general and as the youth community – is anything but calm.

I have reached the panic filled moments to describe the horror of the occasion arising, the doubts and confusion over decisions as to which lock should we open to start solving this world’s problems?

And most importantly, which of the keys do we yet need to find? Which of the solutions do we yet need to mold?

And in the midst of this anxiety, thinking that mankind is indeed doomed I cannot yet be defeated by man-made problems.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said that “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”.

I take the moment to applaud all of us in it together, raising voices which yes, do matter.

I am only 19 but I have represented youth for several years now. I have worked with people just entering their teens, but these voices we have shared also include bigger digits. The thing is, youth has no age. This amalgam of us only depends upon our spirits and our wills.

But how can we reach the majestic heights of unity to create an international amalgam towards peace, when some still want to weight us youth for what we are worth?

Nelson Mandela remarked that “The best weapon is to sit and talk”, but doesn’t this talk involve us youth too?

These little pieces of my thoughts are for the doubters who barricade global success by limiting youth participation and views.

But alas amongst these clouds, there lies newfound hope.

The flicking flame of youth potential has come to catch more acknowledgement.

Youth potential has surpassed some very narrow cracks, and it is a pleasure to see it beaming into the world.

Disciplined youth can indeed change the world.

I need not argue this fact but will quote respected Assistant Secretary General, United Nations Robert Muller’s remarks which go out for everyone to use:

“You are the center of the world. You are a free, immensely powerful source of life and goodness. Affirm it, spread it, radiate it. Think day and night about it and you will see a miracle happen; the greatness of your own life.”

Peace, the theme of today’s discussion, is an idea which everyone not only wants but needs. But as Eleanor Roosevelt said, “It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it.”

Peace isn’t very evident, in this world, currently.

It is a struggle for humanity and the hindrance to success.

There is talk of war, and disruptions and disunity.

In the levels of societies comes more problems much away from any peace.

It is quite clear to everyone that to restore or find peace is an urgent task.

And though some may doubt that it may start the ripple towards change, if we all individually work towards gaining peace, we will surely find it.

We must speak and continue to advocate for peace, because injustice in any other corner of this globe, is a threat to justice which lives today.

And to stand up to all the violence which has gripped our land and oceans, we need to spread a light of love. We need beams of compassion and waves of unity.

There is darkness enveloping our world like a monster creeping its prey. There are barriers and walls to keep us within these limitations.

But there is light amongst this darkness.

We need to remember to flick it on.

Peace is the key which somehow, can magically open up more than one of our locks.

Peace is the climate to freedom and it is the way to succeed. It is what makes life worth living, a dream today to be caught and achieved.

It is a purpose, and we will pursue it.

Sometimes, it falls on a generation, the somewhat weight to be the biggest change.

I have faith that we can be that generation.

To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour

Thank you.

21 September 2017 - International Peace Day 2017