The only one who can tell you “you can’t” is you.

Publié 19 février 2014 no picture Ishan_GEMConnect_Chennai_India

no picture Ishan_GEMConnect_Chennai_India Voir le Profil

I get to school and find out that I’m a part of a United Nations Video Conference and have been given an opportunity to make a difference in the world. I was excited, but the first thing that came to my mind was “me, make a difference.... how on earth can an individual do that.... I CAN’T”.

This happened 10 days ago. But now after a lot of group discussions and research, I’ve realised how much difference I can make as a member of society. We have looked up many case studies and have found solutions that could make a difference, but I feel that by indirectly using these solutions, we would actually be assuming that our society has the same problems as the case study had. To be absolutely sure about the problems in our society, we have to mingle with the ones who are not as priveledged as us and put ourselves in their shoes.

Therefore, I would like to propose the concept of the 4 I’s – Identify, Interrogate, Investigate and Initiate. Firstly, Identify the target group. Then interrogate them and find out what the real problem is. After this we need to investigate the problem thoroughly and come up with a viable solution. Finally, we need to initiate this solution.

We have already started talking to others who come over to our houses and in two days, we will be going over to a small government school in our locality where a number of children from poor families study and would try to educate them further by taking regular classes. Also, on Monday, we would be going over to a school in the outskirts of our city where many orphans and street children are taught to find out about their problems and to do as much as we can to educate them and tell them about their human rights.

So now I finally know that I CAN make a difference and that the only one who can tell you “you can’t” is you and you definitely don’t have to........

inspire education GEM GEM Education for All