The Power of Media

Publié 2 février 2014 no picture alexcampili

no picture alexcampili Voir le Profil

A still from the award winning documentary Blood Brother.

During my freshman year in high school, I wrote a research paper about the importance of social media in the Arab Spring. In it, I discussed the use of Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites in organizing and campaigning in the revolution. Last spring, I saw a documentary entitled Blood Brother, at Sundance London, about an American who ventured to India and spent his time at an orphanage for children with HIV/AIDS. The movie conveyed, using a beautiful personal tale and stunning imagery, the tragedy of HIV/AIDS and the important cultural differences that one may encounter when immersing themselves in a new country. Then I found this site, a place where youth come from all over the world to share their stories, experiences, and thoughts on important global issues.

What do these three things have in common? They all add up to an important message that should be stressed more often and more fervently in our society: the sheer power that rests in media, and it's use as a tool for social change, and human connection. These are only a few examples of the importance of media. The online world is swirling with ideas and impact on influential networking and artistic sites. By filming, photographing, and blogging, we are making important strides, and media's part in these societal strides should not be discredited.

In today's modern era, technological innovation is embarking on an unprecedented rise. Our globe is interconnected in a way unlike ever before. Something can happen in far off continents, oceans away, and be on the tip of your fingers within a seconds notice. Epidemics and cultural endeavors that we would otherwise be oblivious to are conveyed strikingly through the use of media. We live in a truly global world, one in which our different experiences are now a gateway to exploring both our diversity, and our wholly human essence. It is through media that we are able to connect, and it is through media that we can truly empower ourselves as a united peoples.

children aids media youth media arab spring