The situation of teachers in Turkey

Publié 15 janvier 2012 no picture Idil Kına

no picture Idil Kına Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 7 janvier 2012

Hello everyone, I'm İdil and I live in Turkey. In my country education is the most needed thing and there are a lot of campaigns to improve education. There are more than 3 three organizations which help girls’ education, there are organizations for the children who have lost their parents, there are also community centres which educate the public. A lot of people dedicate themselves to teach people and change the society in to a better way. I am really proud of these people; but there is a thing that I am not proud of (which is a shame for such a country with great citizens): the education policy and the teachers payments.

We have a education policy that still discusses the skirt sizes, considers if we should celebrate our national holidays, make us to think in one size, keeps us from learning what we want, does not support different talents and does not holds the society together.

Even most of our education system is a total shame. I think the teacher payments are a big problem. No matter what system it is, if the teachers are caring, loving and pleased with their job; public will be well educated. Teacher payments in Turkey are 1000 to 1500 liras(600 USD to 900USD) the lowest house rent starts with 700 lira plus the bills a teacher has to come through a month with 100 lira (60 USD) and this money goes to food and transportation. This is the teachers situation in Turkey.

Can a person who is worried about her bills, house rents and vital needs teach with confidence and know that she can teach those people and improve their minds? Maybe she can but a teacher doesn't deserve this. Like any hardworking people a teacher deserves to feel financially secured.

Teachers keep society together, they provide us all the information and intelligence we need and want, a teacher can give us the power to see the universe in a different way that we see in our daily lives they set us fearless and free I believe by making teachers feel secured and motivated we can put society to a better place.

How we can do this? How are you doing this in your country? What are your ideas? Share your voices with me please.

Student and Teacher" by Wonderlane on Flickr (Creative Commons)