The World is A Liar

Publié 6 février 2014 no picture WendyT_GEMConnect_Burnaby_Canada

no picture WendyT_GEMConnect_Burnaby_Canada Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 30 janvier 2014

“Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference, and impart information and ideas through any media regardless of frontiers.”

This was taken from Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It is pretty self-explanatory, correct? Humans obtain the right to freedom of opinion and expression and everyone receives more recognition, therefore there is no censorship in our society at all. Wrong. The world we live in now is still full of restrictions on our opinions. When I first heard about the Article 19, I thought it was an extremely clever and realistic human rights goal. However, after several years I realized the devastating impact.

Firstly, there is a reason why there is a rise of exclusion in our world. One would think that with the availability of freedom of opinion and expression, we would all be equally respected in our world. The downfall to this is that when we freely express our opinion and expressions, alarming discrimination and stereotypical thoughts tend to arise. With humans, we learn from our peers and the people we are influenced by daily. If we hear something said about a minority group, for example, will we not take up the opinion as well in the long run? Yes, we will. Obviously, freedom of speech and expression is significant because human beings should be every way equal and not have our opinions sheltered, but most of the time, freedom is the sole cause of exclusion.

Secondly, censorship is still happening in our world today. In our textbooks, for example, it does not always describe the faults of our country. It usually minimizes the extent of an event that people believe is detrimental to learn about as it would "destroy" our viewpoints in a way. Censorship also happens with the news as they cut off significant information to make one lean towards a side of the story without seeing the other side clearly. Ultimately, censorship is a huge problem that is ongoing in our world still and desperately needs a solution.

The big question is, how do we balance having too much freedom and having too little of it? Frankly, Article 19's proposal of everyone having the freedom to opinion and expression is excellent as it gives people a chance at equality in regards to respect and recognition of ideas. The way we balance freedom is what we choose to believe in. Yes, perhaps some ideas are downright true; yet the same amount of, if not more, opinions are false. The world is a liar, but it can be honest when it wants to be and when you make it too.

education human rights GEM GEM Human Rights Universal Declaration of Human Rights