Venezuela's food crisis

Publié 16 octobre 2013 Avatar Manuel Martínez

Avatar Manuel Martínez Voir le Profil
Inscrit le 16 octobre 2013

Since we are commemorating today the World Food Day, it is the perfect time to remind some of the most shocking and actual facts regarding the huge and deep problems of food security across the nations; in fact, as many nations work through the industrialization and adequacy of their food companies, several nations seem to be not necessarily worried about how their people is eating and being able to consume the products they need, or even if they are consuming the minimum of daily nutritional values; fact that is definitely analyzed with concern and awareness, mostly because we are living in a modern world with social and economic inequalities, and we are presence of a phenomenon of “paralysis of food production”.

This “paralysis” is mostly common in countries which natural resources are not sufficient to produce alimentary goods, or their industry field is not properly adapted to new technology, or even not capable to produce enough amounts of products to satisfy the consumers. However, the paralysis phenomenon is a deeply criticized issue, referring as the lack of efficient national policies regarding production, incentives of productivity, and food security policies.

One perfect example to this issue is the Venezuela situation right now; as we might know, Venezuela currently has one of the biggest inflation rates in the world, with the first inflation rate in Latin America, affecting millions of people on their daily basis with an inflation of more of 45% since the 2013 started until now (10 months exactly); that inflation issue is one of the most concerning problems right now in the country, with more of 29 millions of inhabitants being directly affected with this economic chaos; but not only the inflation affects the Venezuelan way of living, but the lack of offer of products at markets nationwide is one of the most breaking points right now, with many of the essential products almost completely disappear from the stocks, and with very expensive products at the “black market” (or informal commerce), the situation seems pretty uncertain and seriously unfair to a country that produces and distributes almost 1 million barrels of oil per day at expensive prices.

So, it is definitely unconceivable to a population that is supposed to be “wealthy” in general terms, that in reality is unable to consume the products they want, at fair prices and with regularity. Taking into consideration that almost a 70% of the alimentary goods Venezuelans consume are not made into the national territory, which means a huge import spending to the state and the private industry. However, organisms as United Nations’ Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) granted an award to Venezuela to “its efforts to establish food security across nation”, but particularly I believe that a poor and almost inexistent agro-alimentary industry does not deserve the recognition by a international organization, merely because at some point in the future the food security will not be assured, and the “stability” that government gives will not be able to provide any additional benefit to the entire population.

The true is that at the time Venezuela’s food policies does not promote the food industry in order to achieve long term success, the consumption of nutritional values at the country will be a patronage cycle, with several people suffering the disadvantages of a depressed national industry field, and the consequences of being an importer customer during a lifetime, with the ups and downs of the inflation and the purchasing power, which we can see are going lower and lower each time the government applies a devaluation process as a solution to the economic conjuncture.

We cannot warrant “food sovereignty” if we cannot even produce the basic products we consume.

developing countries food Latin America world food day venezuela food security FAO crisis