Voices of Youth Inspire! "I was determined to become a journalist to speak out for the voiceless"

Publié 15 juillet 2013 no picture

Inscrit le 27 mars 2013

Your name: Nakia Joyce

Your age: 25 years old

Where are you originally from and where do you currently live?

I come from Karamoja in North Eastern Uganda and currently I live in Pader, Northern Uganda.

According to your business card – what’s your job title?

Marketing Manager for a radio station.

And how does that compare with what you wanted to do when you were 10 years old?

No comparison with what I wanted to do when I was 10 years old: I was determined to become a journalist to speak out for the voiceless.

Give us 10 words that describe your typical work day?

Going to the field to market the station and to ensure I get business for the radio station.

In a nutshell, how did you get to where you are right now? Name some of the most important milestones.

Due to my good relations with the community, stakeholders and NGOs, my boss was satisfied with my work and ended up giving me this current job title.

What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome to get to your current position and how did it help you to grow as a person?

My biggest obstacle was when we lost a big business with one of the companies. It helped me to grow in a way, learning that in life everything can’t go as planned. I learnt how to accept situations.

How important was your choice of degree/field of study at university for what you’re doing now?

Girls in my culture were not allowed to go to school or even have a say in anything in the community. I felt we were being denied these rights. I looked at how I can help raise the voices of the voiceless. I decided to go for journalism and now I am using the radio to air out the issues affecting us. Right now I do marketing and broadcasting youth programs and news casting.

What are the top three things someone needs to excel in your field?

· Determination

· Patience

· Confidence

What do you think is the MOST important thing governments and/or companies can do to help young people get started in their careers?

The government must put in enough financial support for the youth and for companies, more funding is needed.

On a lighter note, tell us about the strangest day you’ve ever had at work or the strangest thing you had to do?

When I was intimidated by words I heard and that said “We cannot wait for Karamoja [a region in Uganda] to develop”, which I felt was degrading for my tribe. I had to rise above that and show people that I am capable regardless of where I hail from.

Some words to youth out there: What advice can you give them when chasing their dream position?

Dear youth, life is full of ups and downs. No matter what you go through don’t give up on anything you do. Remember education is the way to go in order to achieve our goals.
Last but not least take care of HIV/AIDS: if you are positive remain positive and let’s not pass it on to others, accept it and you will live longer.

Thank you.