Voices of Youth Inspire! "My job is beautiful because you have to put yourself in people’s shoes to be able to make good judgement decisions"

Publié 26 juin 2013 no picture

Inscrit le 27 mars 2013

Your name: Belmondo Alexandre

Your age: 30

Where are you originally from and where do you currently live?

I come from Haiti but, I currently live in Dakar, Senegal to work on a mission of the NGO, Alima.

According to your business card – what’s your job title?

Human Resources Manager for a NGO.

And how does that compare with what you wanted to do when you were 10 years old?

Surgeon or fighter pilot.

What does your job consist of ?

I recruit new staff, I draw up Human Resources procedures, I make sure that the NGO I work for respects the labour legislation of the country and I also deal with other tasks related to Human Resources Management.

Give us 10 words that describe your typical work day?

Passion, stress, disappointment, will, initiative, proactive, cautious, organization, creativity, respect.

In a nutshell, how did you get to where you are right now? Name some of the most important milestones.

Before the end of my administrative studies, I started working as a commercial by selling computers to companies and when I managed to make a sale, I earned a commission.

Then I started a more formal carrier in a hospital network administration and then in the humanitarian field. For almost 8 years, I have been working in that field, and especially in human resources management.

Thanks to God and to the results of my work, I now have an international career. It requires a lot of precision and you have to love your work. During my career, I learned that whatever happens, you should not dedicate yourself to a job that you do not like.

What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome to get to your current position and how did it help you to grow as a person?

The biggest obstacle I had to overcome to get to my current position is myself. Why? I have lived most of my life in Haiti, my country, in an environment that I do know because it’s my home.

But it is a totally different reality when they brief you on another country, with another context, and they ask you to keep on doing what you were doing before, but in another place. In this way, the first thing I had to do, was to convince myself that I could manage it, and then if you know how to do your job, the rest will follow. Today, it helps me to take more initiatives and I don’t panic as soon as there is a new challenge coming up.

What did you study ? How important was your choice of degree/field of study at university for what you’re doing now?

What I chose was administrative studies, specializing in business management. Although sometimes, it may be hard to work on what you studied, my studies are directly related to my job. Of course, I could have chosen other careers but when you have done the right choice, you are led by passion and you go on.

What are the top three things someone needs to excel in your field?

● Be open to people. Human resources are, before the technical side, the relationships you have with the people you work with. Being able to listen is the key.

● Be organized.

● Be precise in your work.

On a lighter note, tell us about the strangest day you’ve ever had at work or the strangest thing you had to do?

One day, a staff member hit me at work. He didn’t have any valid reason to do it, because a few minutes before, we were on good terms, and he just got mad about something I said concerning his job. Quirk of fate, I even insisted for him not to be dismissed, while it would have be the thing to do and until now, I can’t explain to myself the fact that I did not apply the rules that day.

This is why my job is beautiful because you often have to put yourself in people’s shoes to be able to make good judgement decisions, even if you have to forget about the rules. To do it, it is essential to do everything according to your convictions.

Some words to youth out there: What advice can you give them when chasing their dream position?

There is no ready-made recipes like a doctor who would prescribe drugs to their patient. I would advise you to listen to your heart, there is inevitably something that you like to do. Think of the best way to turn it into something productive for you, look into yourself for something you like to do, nobody but you has the answer. The ball is in your court and the only way to go far is to put enough efforts into it and to be courageous.